The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took me a while but I feel like I finally figured it out. Im a former reef aquarist and started with freshwater three years ago with a Nature style scape. But I always had my eye on setting up a stem plant tank because of the color saturation comparable to my old reef tanks.

My biggest issue the last two years was my inability to grow stems without algae. But with the help of the great people on this forum I finally feel like Ive got there. The keys for me: keeping my active substrate cleaner, adding more co2, consistant dosing and water changes, and then learning how to trim.

Tank profile:

-60 gallon system with a sump and Apex controller. 30 x 19 x 24high.

-active substrate, which made a big difference after switching from Fluorite.

- ph drop of 1.4 with a diy 3ft Griggs reactor piped into my return line. Co2 at a steady uncountable stream on a GLA regulator.

- precision daily dosing with the Apex DOS pump. I dose with a modified PPS- pro mix, so a little leaner because...

- I only change 25% per week, but I do it religiously

- lighting is five 24 watt T5 bulbs, right now Plantmax 3000, ATI purple, Geismann Aqua Azure, Geismann Flora, and Powerveg 633. Mounted 7" above water level, so not a ton of watts but still high light.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It took me a while but I feel like I finally figured it out. Im a former reef aquarist and started with freshwater three years ago with a Nature style scape. But I always had my eye on setting up a stem plant tank because of the color saturation comparable to my old reef tanks.

My biggest issue the last two years was my inability to grow stems without algae. But with the help of the great people on this forum I finally feel like Ive got there. The keys for me: keeping my active substrate cleaner, adding more co2, consistant dosing and water changes, and then learning how to trim.

Tank profile:

-60 gallon system with a sump and Apex controller. 30 x 19 x 24high.

-active substrate, which made a big difference after switching from Fluorite.

- ph drop of 1.4 with a diy 2.5ft Griggs reactor piped into my return line. Co2 at a steady uncountable stream on a GLA regulator.

- precision daily dosing with the Apex DOS pump. I dose with a modified PPS- pro mix, so a little leaner because...

- I only change 25% per week, but I do it religiously

- lighting is five 24 watt T5 bulbs, right now Plantex 3000, ATI purple, Geismann Aqua Azure, Geismann Flora, and Powerveg 633. Mounting 7" above water level. So not a ton of light but its good light.

Looks great! How are you approaching sump return/flow in this tank?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks great! How are you approaching sump return/flow in this tank?
Here's an under stand pic. The overflow is in the upper left corner of the tank. It drains onto a 10 micron filter sock( the sump stays much cleaner with the 10 micron), through the sump to a variable speed return pump, which allows me to dial in the flow. Return water goes through the 3ft. Griggs reactor and back to the tank split between a vertical spray bar pointed across the back of the tank on the left side, and a Locline 2" flare nozzle in the upper right corner. With ball valves on each, combined with the variable speed pump I have near total adjustability of water flow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks great and congrats!

What active substrate/soil are you using?
Landen Soil. Ill never not use an active substrate again; the growth and health of the plants after I switched was night and day. I assumed my old inert substrate was not clean enough, causing some problems, not to mention the lack of nutients at root level.

I did " recharge" the Landen substrate after six months when I started getting more GDA again; I vacuumed sections well and added a quarter of the bag each time over a month to avoid issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.