The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe a rather silly question: as a stem plant grows closer to the surface, getting closer to the light source, will the plant get the red pigmentation that some stem plants are known to get?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

This is my rotala rotundifolia and when I got it out of the bag, this plant had a beautiful red hue. As it grew, the red didn't continue and I am fully aware that this plant needs high light for the red pigmentation. I don't use CO2 but I do dose pFertz weekly and excel twice a week. As I trim I noticed that the new growth, closer to the light, are slighly reddish. It's quite interesting because I notice I have a mix of reds and greens, it almost turns my rotala into a candy cane.

FYI, my light consists of 2 x 39w T5HO bulbs. I've been told that 3 bulbs maybe too much for a 55 gallon so I opted not to go one bulb more as I am truly afraid of algae outbreak.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You will see it turn redder as it gets closer to the surface. If you have no CO2, you will have a hard time getting enough light to turn it bright red without an algae outbreak.
I'm knocking on wood everyday for I have not had an outbreak yet. I used to have BBA but it's since disappeared completely with the excel. I do notice some small mats of BGA on the substrate but I get rid of them as soon as I see them.

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
yup, its sounds about right!

Plants that can turn red will turn red as the grow towards the surface, because the lighting is much stronger at the surface then the bottom obviously.

But like other say, more light = more co2 and fertz.
Its all about a balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.