The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to move the contents of my 10g to a 20H. I thought while I was moving and doing some trimming I thought I would do an raok. What I am wondering is would I be better to trim the plants and ship the tops or ship the root section? I could also ship hole plants but then it would be a smaller package numbers wise. The plants are the following:

Bacopa of some type I'm not sure which but I believe it is carolina.
L. Repens (I think)
Alternathi reinekii rosaefolia

Thanks for the help!

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Be fine to ship them either way, bottoms or tops. People generally prefer to receive the tops, so they can skip the growing out and have immediate plants...so to speak.

Of course doing a RAOK it's not going to matter, just give away whatever part you want the least.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
I agree with burr

RAOK it would be fine if you gave people whatever since they are basically getting free plants. If they complain then they're being a dick IMO. If you sell stems for a profit I would only count top sections as individual stems. Each 'stem' should be at least 5" long as well. Basically if I spent $20 for 10 stems of a plant I would be pretty bummed if I got 5 tops and 5 bottoms. Tops acclimate much faster and basically just continue growing. Bottoms don't rebound as well but can still do just fine over a longer time.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@klibs
Thanks for the reply. I'm just going to send the tops. The plants are growing out of the top of a 10g tank so sending 5" wont be difficult at all and will still leave me the bottoms to replant. I had a couple of members who did me right and helped me out so in an effort to pay it forward this is going to be a total raok including shipping. I would hope the recipient doesn't complain.

Bump: One more question. If I need to use heat do you guys, or gals, use those hand warmers they use for hunting and what not to keep the plants warm or should I use something else? I think those only last a few hours and it seems they would be pointless to use.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
IMO don't even bother the heat packs will be useless after a few hours anyways. If somebody living in cold weather orders plants and lets them sit outside their house in freezing weather then they are an idiot.

I personally put disclaimers in my RAOK threads that are like 'if you screw up it's your own fault' to prevent people from getting angry.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.