The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just read that when you first trim stem plants such as rotala, after you trim them you should up root the plant and dispose of the bottom portion and replant the new growth top portion, should this be done? or should the bottom portion be left, even though some of the leaves don't always transform to there submersed form. I'm talking about just doing this the first time only. after that you can being trimming to get the desired bush effect

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
already read that, but it didn't answer my question, i already know how to achieve the bush effect.
what I'm talking about is trimming the plant, uprooting the bottom half disposing of it, and then replanting the top half part of the stem (with the new submersed leaves)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, there are some that do that every time.

It really depends on how they transition. I've had some stems that look horrible and I couldn't wait to get old growth out. Other times I needed more so I replanted tips and left bottoms,vuntil things filled in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have just read that when you first trim stem plants such as rotala, after you trim them you should up root the plant and dispose of the bottom portion and replant the new growth top portion, should this be done? or should the bottom portion be left, even though some of the leaves don't always transform to there submersed form. I'm talking about just doing this the first time only. after that you can being trimming to get the desired bush effect
Depends on what you want, and what you started with. If you had emergent growth, then best to remove it and replace with submergent tops for uniformity and to prevent the decay of the bottom (emersed) portions. In my experience, this was needed even with submerged bottoms after about 3 trimmings, because the bottoms just started to wear out and lose vigor. May have been nutrient related...don’t recall. The tops always seemed more vigorous.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yes, i was under the impression this was only done in dutch aquascapes. i think its stem plants with large emersed leaves like ludwiga which this technic is best for. although i think i will try this on rotala as i really hate the look of the bottom portion although its really not visible. just knowing its there annoys me haha

Bump:
When u replace the roots with a new growth, does it waste substrate nutrients??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
no i wouldn't worry about that, and you should only do it once anyway, until that you get large bush and top portion begins to really cover the bottom portion and the leaves down there begin to die due to lack of light. then you should do it again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.