The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer a suggestion for a stem plant with a somewhat ridged stem? If the water dropped the stem would or would almost be self supporting? Non stem plant suggestions welsome too

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You're looking for plants that can be grown emersed?

Most plants have very different emersed vs. submerged growth; emersed growth the plant's stem and leaves are more rigid, but submersed they are not and would bend.

If the water levels in the tank are stable (not fluctuating all the time) then the plants could adapt... but I'm not clear exactly what you're envisioning?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, Im thinking submersed. I can see why it was unclear, I wasnt very clear. the plant will need to be in strong current, can I dont want it to flow about. Years ago I had something from Limnophilia genus that would work, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

You're looking for plants that can be grown emersed?

Most plants have very different emersed vs. submerged growth; emersed growth the plant's stem and leaves are more rigid, but submersed they are not and would bend.

If the water levels in the tank are stable (not fluctuating all the time) then the plants could adapt... but I'm not clear exactly what you're envisioning?

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
How about these-
Alternanthera reineckii
Ammannia gracilis
Eichhornia diversifolia
Nesaea pedicellata
Pogostemon erectum
Most Hygrophila will handle strong currents also

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good ones in there! Thanks!!
on a side note, why do I always find the need to order plants in the winter? Spring and fall(perfect shipping weather) never seems to be a time I need plants..oh well ;)

How about these-
Alternanthera reineckii
Ammannia gracilis
Eichhornia diversifolia
Nesaea pedicellata
Pogostemon erectum
Most Hygrophila will handle strong currents also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.