The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me being a noob decided to cut the to off all the stem plants i planted

will they grow normal? ...or will the tips split into 2 new stems?

the ones im most worried about are the cabomba the Bacopa monnieri

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tips can be replanted and they will be fine.

When you remove the tops, you remove the auxin producing part of the plant which will encourage lateral shoots to develop. In other words, the stem will produce new "tops" and you will get a bushier effect.
i dont know what i was thinking but i threw away the tops :(

so they will continue to grow from the parts that got cut?

·
Registered
305 Posts
when i am looking to use the cuttings for new plantings i let my stems grow out quite a bit so the part i am cutting off is like 4" inches. You can then replant them or trade them to other people. I have a 10g Grow out tank thay i take the 4" stems that i have cut off and grow them to what ever size and Qty that i need. I try and get all of my plants from other people. you could be one of them if you plan right :).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Define look bad when you are referring to stem plants. ;-)
It's all in your eye - not ours.
Let them grow and see how they develop. At the worst, you'll have two new tops to smip and plant in a few weeks. Clipping the tops is one way to make one stem bushier. Clip the new tops and multiples will start growing. One stem may end up with a dozen branches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.