The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scored another Fluval Studio off of CL for $200.... I didn't really need another aquarium, but i couldn't resist a decent CL deal :) My plan is to replace my Fluval Osaka with this new Studio so i have a clean even look around the fire place and mantel. The Osaka will be moved to the basement and still be used as a grow out aquarium!

This tank came with everything plus some.... here it it after I spent a couple hours cleaning it up! It was really dirty and covered in algae... it was kinda funny because the guy I bought it from was telling me how to grow plants and the only thing he had growing in it was Hornwort and lots of hair algae?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Fluval's are great looking tanks. How do you like the Osaka? Would you recommend one? I have seen some locally at fish stores and would love an opinion from an actual user :)

jeander

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Fluval's are great looking tanks. How do you like the Osaka? Would you recommend one? I have seen some locally at fish stores and would love an opinion from an actual user :)

jeander
Thanks for all the kynd words!!

I love the Osaka's..... i get the most compliments on how it's truly bent glass and not acrylic. The tank is tall and would kinda suck if you're a shorty :) The stand is pretty decent but it's just particle board with a vinyl wood grain wrap on it. The hardware.. hinges, handles and nice sliding door are extremely nice and high quality. I believe the Hagen t5 light is under powered for the depth of the aquarium! For the list retail price i wouldn't buy one... but if you can get a clearance one a or one on CL i'd buy one! I have dreams about the 84G Osaka!

I've been thinking about how i'm gonna set this up....

I'm gonna use this nice box of rocks that a fine TPT kindly gave me!

I've always used Red Flourite.... so i bought 4 bags of the Black Florite and plan on capping it with some Fluval Stratum. I'd like to do an all asian plant selection.

Limnophila hippuroides with Cryptocoryne, Balansae in back for background plants?

Some Pogostemon Erectus?

And Crypotcoryne Parva and Pogostemon Helferi and foreground plants?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My plan is to fill the new Studio with water from the Osaka and put one of established fluval canisters form my 75G to get it started! I'm just gonna slide the Osaka over and leave it setup until January, that's when our local Aquarium club has its annual swap meet and i'd like to have alot of plants to bring!

Here's what i came up with....

I planning on using some,

Limnophila hippuroides
Cryptocoryne,Balansae
Pogostemon Erectus
Crypotcoryne Parva
Pogostemon Helferi

:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking great! Where do you get such rocks? Have not seen any locally!

My Fluval Profile 1000 is am amazing looking tank. Can't say as much for my aquascaping! :)
The rocks are Seiryu Stone... i believe they a scared rock that comes from Japan? I do see them pop up in the sale/trade forums once in a while.

Your aquarium looks amazing.... and your scaping will grow with the tank!!

Meanwhile......

My package from AP has arrived!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

jeander
I have the same Osaka tank as Stella Blue - the 260 - (Just over 70 gals) & absolutely love it ! Have used it as a planted discus tank for approx. 3 years, and would buy another (the 320 - 84 gals) in a heartbeat if I could find a used one in good condition. They were discontinued by Fluval over 2 years ago, but the odd LFS may have 1 or 2 gathering dust in their store room.
Here's some pics of the tank:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

Apologies Stella, for the slight sidetrack to your thread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apologies Stella, for the slight sidetrack to your thread.
Anytime.... especially to talk about the Fluvals :)

I got all the new plants in and think it looks pretty good, can't wait until it fills in!!

Now... I'll just turn the Co2 up and see what happens :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on your find! That is going to look terrific having matching tanks/stands on either side of the mantle! Will be looking forward to seeing an updated pic of the space.
Thanks Amanda!!

Here's an updated photo of the space, it'll be nice when the old tanks goes downstairs in the future fishroom!!

I've been cranking the CO2 and all the plants are doing great. It's crazy amazing to watch the plants go from the emerged state to submerged :)

Some yellow shrimp came in the mail today, thanks to a wonderful TPT member!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a little update....

Everything is doing great still, and the shrimp are all about to explode!! I'm only keeping the stargrass and frogbite until this weekend and then its going to the local swap meet.

:smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts