The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter found a nice old branch a few weeks ago that id like to put in my tank, its completely stripped of bark, and entirely dried out. i was wondering if i could put it in my avent baby bottle steam steriliser before placing it in the tank? or is there a better way?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
NO!

For safety reasons, I would never use a baby bottle cleaner for cleaning unknown items.

UNLESS! You know for a fact that the baby bottle steamer will NEVER be used again for it's intended purposes.

Too much risk for the baby just to clean a piece of wood IMO.

I know that most baby bottle steamers are small in size, so I'm assuming that the wood is also small in size. Your best bet IMO would be boiling it multiple times untill you think it's good enough; then boil it some more just to be sure. 2nd hand stores usually have very cheap pots for sale. I'd buy one of those instead of getting scolded at by the partner.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
my daughter found a nice old branch a few weeks ago that id like to put in my tank, its completely stripped of bark, and entirely dried out. i was wondering if i could put it in my avent baby bottle steam steriliser before placing it in the tank? or is there a better way?
boil it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ PinoyBoy I would never dream of doing it if i still used the steriliser!!!!! my youngest is 3 now, and it hasnt been used for over 2 years, the steriliser is actually quite a large one and would just fit the branch in. i dont have a pan that is big enough to boil it atm.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh, sorry about that. It was just an assumption. Then again, you can still give/sell it to some one.

+2 on boiling Kamikazi

Aslong as you're able to fit a good amount of the wood into the boiling pot, then it should still work. You're most likely going to have to flip the wood a couple of times so every major part gets boiled.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Out of curiosity, why on Earth wouldn't you reuse the sterilizer? If it's what I'm thinking of, it's just a container for steaming things. There's no reason you couldn't wash it out and use it for steaming bottles again or whatever else you wanted. It's not like tree branches are dripping with some mystery poison, or that kids don't stick them in their mouths when they find them outside...

That said, I'd boil it as well. It will help remove some tannins from the wood and get it waterlogged enough to sink.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, i will use my biggest pan and boil it then. how long for/how many times? the only reason i didnt do that in the first place is that i was once told not to boil things for an aquarium. was never sure of the reason. but thanks for your input :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.