The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to share; I just read a great idea by Jaguar, and I'm going to incorporate it into my next QT tank!
Many of you know I made my first 3D backgrounds for my two 29g tanks (in my signature). I used Drylok and sheets of insulation foam. I enjoyed the process and the outcome so much I'm going to be making more - for a 55, a 90, and a 40B. Well, I am converting one of the existing 29g tanks into a QT tank, and I'm going to remove the dirt and cap substrate and replace it with a lightly sculpted foam and Drylok floor. (think tiered slate laying flat on the floor) I'll have water column feeding plants that don't require planting in soil - like java ferns, floating pennywort, etc - for plants and tie them to driftwood. That will make cleaning and maintaining the QT tank so easy, yet it will still look good.
Kudos to Jaguar for such a great idea!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Drylok doesn't have much texture (you can add sand, etc. to it if you want more), it is durable - I've never scratched or nicked the coating - and it is very easy to siphon clean. The walls I made for the 29s had a ultra thin layer of algae grow on them. I really love how it makes it look more realistic and I wanted algae to grow on it for that reason. I hate the look of a bare bottom tank - I only like the ease of upkeep with them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I make the QT tank with the Drylok floor, I'll post a pic here - we'll see how it comes out - lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts