The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some staurogyne repens at petsmart the other day, divided it up into smaller plants, and stuck the plants in my gravel. when I woke up the next day, they were all floating at the top of the tank, so I replanted them. They keep on floating up, and will continue to do so until they grow roots (which they don't really have yet). How can I keep them in the gravel? I do not think my fish did this by the way, as I have only seen shrimp in there until now. I do have some floating hornwort, which the filter seems to be sending underwater. I think the hornwort then hits the plants.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could use a bread tie. Shape it like an upside down J, hook it through the plant and stick it straight down in the gravel. Then just pull it out in a few weeks one its rooted. S repens will grow some monster roots fairly quickly

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Paper clips are a no-no.I just take a small square of sponge or filter pad and cut a small slit in the center and pole the stem through the hole and bury the sponge.Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
They will rust and leach...lol But I guess if you get them out after a short time they could work . I am just overly cautious about what I put into a tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. Thanks for letting me know. Since I only expect to have them in for a short period of time, I think I will use them. Thank you for cautioning me, though. I will make sure I do not leave them in too long.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I just used the "jooks" (its a term I just coined as in J-Hooks for people in the Planted Tanks World) from a few loafs of bread, making a simple J with an L on the bottom since the wire is so maleable. Worked out amazingly well to plant some S. Repens tissue specimens. Just taking into account the amount of time saved by using those wires from the bread was awesome. I mean, why not, we use the same thing outside in the garden with thicker gauge wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.