The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Can anyone identify what's going on with my Repens?

My weekly dose:
NO3 = 3.5ppm
PO4 = 7ppm
K = 24-30ppm

Ca = 45ppm (due to low Ca on my tap water). During WC, only added to the water changed)
Mg = 6ppm

Iron 0.12ppm

CO2 = 2 hours. Almost yellow when the light begins. Almost 1d Ph drop.

Substrate: Fluval stratum with pumice as the base
Light = 8h with Chihiros WRGB II (60watt for my 2 feet tank)

I put my tank my a light living room during the day (2 meters away from the window). It's bright from 2pm until around 5pm but no direct sunlight to the tank. The LED light starts on 4.30pm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just my 2 cents - Your po4 level is pretty high compared to your no3. I know the 'golden ratio' is 10:1 (no3 to po4). It may be that your po4 may be driving your iron too low? Personally, I would try increasing no3 and decrease the po4. Something to like 10ppm no3 and 1ppm po4. I've always had success with S. Repens @ those levels in my tanks. BTW - I realize that you have some red stem plants and may be purposely low dosing no3 to bring out the red.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my 2 cents - Your po4 level is pretty high compared to your no3. I know the 'golden ratio' is 10:1 (no3 to po4). It may be that your po4 may be driving your iron too low? Personally, I would try increasing no3 and decrease the po4. Something to like 10ppm no3 and 1ppm po4. I've always had success with S. Repens @ those levels in my tanks. BTW - I realize that you have some red stem plants and may be purposely low dosing no3 to bring out the red.
Just knew about it. Could you share some references telling that the wrong ratio may lead to Iron absorption issue?

Is it just PO4 with NO3 or N in general?

I guess I have to reduce the PO4 to 1:1 at least. And use root tabs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just knew about it. Could you share some references telling that the wrong ratio may lead to Iron absorption issue?

The name of the chart I referenced is called 'Mulder's Chart' (just google it). It will tell you how different nutrients effect one another. It shows that P and Fe have an antagonistic relationship.

Also, the golden ratio (10:1) I referenced is also known as the 'Redfield Ratio'. Try looking into that too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.