The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is my s. repens carpet in my 40breeder:

Grown from two packs of staurogyne repens from petsmart
High light, press co2, and I dose ferts. They are FINALLY algae free!!

This plant does not creep or spread, you will have to trim and replant the trimming.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This plant does not creep or spread, you will have to trim and replant the trimming.

Beautiful! I am toying with the idea of going for this look, but also thinking about doing the rest of my carpet in HC and kind of making the Repens into 4 or 5
Lush islands among the baby tears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have a love / hate relationship with this plant. I had a very nice full lush thick carpet of it, and it decided to just melt. no parameter changes in the tank, it just melted lol. It is slowly starting to come back, but not near as quick as it was :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Everything I've read says this does spread by sending horizontal runners out, kinda like dwarf sag. I just planted some from petsmart myself, but haven't gotten to that point yet.

·
Registered
877 Posts
LOL- Talking about "getting bushy". This is what happened to mine after not trimming it for nearly a year. My kids thought it looked like a "giant frog" and thought I'd been trimming it, to make it look that way.

My tank is a 225 gal, so you have that volume for reference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOL- Talking about "getting bushy". This is what happened to mine after not trimming it for nearly a year. My kids thought it looked like a "giant frog" and thought I'd been trimming it, to make it look that way.

I'd like something like that lol. That would fill up my 40 completely.

My staurogyne repens have never spread out horizontally. I have always had to trim and replant.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That is really cool! There is no mound it is growing on? The substrate is level, if so that's crazy, the height on it, I didn't think that it could get like that!

·
Registered
185 Posts
This was my 29 gallon, possibly one of my favorite plants, very heavy feeder and grows at a decent rate.
They grow both vertically and horizontally, in higher lights they will send side shoots (not runners) that creep quite a distance from the main plant.
Advice, they will choke each other out like no tomorrow, plant with enough space in between or you'll eventually have a bunch of dead or yellow leaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very little honestly. I trimmed it about a month ago to get rid of all leaves with algae and its just now filled in. I find its a slow slow growing plant.

Next time I trim, I really wont have any place to plant the trimmings so I don't know what I'll do with them. Def don't want to throw them away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
That is really cool! There is no mound it is growing on? The substrate is level, if so that's crazy, the height on it, I didn't think that it could get like that!

Lol- There's no mound per say, but there are three large volcanic stones under that mass that were arranged with the starougyne growing out from between them. Like I said- I didn't trim it for nearly a year. I finally got around to trimming it a few months ago and it wasn't fun. It made a huge mess and the plant itself had to be reduced to an ugly white mass that took a few weeks to green up again and look normal. Take my advice- don't let it get away from you. Trim consistently! LOL

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Advice, they will choke each other out like no tomorrow, plant with enough space in between or you'll eventually have a bunch of dead or yellow leaves.

So should I have not planted mine in tight little groupings? I thought that would be the way to get them to carpet like shown in your picture, to plant 3 or four tight groupings and over time they would spread out and connect. But will they choke each other out planting in this way?..how did you start yours off to get such nice uniform coverage?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.