The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

This site has been a great source of information, but ive FINALLY found something i have to ask about rather than find on the site.

ive got several large plants of staurogyne bihar, growing out of control in my 20 gallon long, and i have no idea on how to prune or control this plant! do i top and replant? if i cut it short will it form side shoots?
any experienced advice would be helpful!

(also, thanks to everyone for contributing to such a great resource!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I think if you've got adequate light, start over by cutting the existing stems into 3" - 4" pieces (making sure there are leaves or, at least nodes showing in each piece) then replant a little more densely. Trim regularly; each time you do, the existing stem will send out side shoots and become more "bushy". Be sure to trim it before it gets quite a leggy as your current stuff is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice! Everything is getting a heavy trim, but only after I move the tank across the country. I'll leave it for now, just in case the move goes poorly on the plants, I'll have lots of plant mass to redo the tank.

Bump: Thanks for the advice! Everything is getting a heavy trim, but only after I move the tank across the country. I'll leave it for now, just in case the move goes poorly on the plants, I'll have lots of plant mass to redo the tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cut and let it grow side shoots, when side shoots have grown trim the top. when you have 4 shoots cut the lower part and replant the tops. Dont Know if you understand, sorry for the bad english

------------------- l l l l
------------------- \ / \ /
------------------- Y Y
------------------- \ / <-----------REPLANT
------- CUT--------- \ /
------------------- Y
-------- UNROOT-------l
l

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.