The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been helping my bf upgrade from RCS to CRS, and it's starting to make me want to start up a tank too. RCS is the obvious way to go as it's the starting point for all beginners, but I want something challenging. However, I don't want it to fail because I forgot something basic which would become discouraging. I've always loved the pleco (weird, aint it xD), but I've read that it's really challenging because they're wild caught.

So my question is, should I still start out with RCS? I haven't bought anything yet, and this is in the planning stage. I want to make sure that I've bought the right things at a low price xD

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
With enough research, you can have many fish choices. I have only been keeping fish about 6 months give or take and I have rummynose tetras and rams thriving in my tank. You can definitely do a pleco. But what size tank are you thinking about?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bristlenose plecos, (my favourite type, and they stay a reasonable 4-5 inches in size, unlike the 15 inch larger plecos) and many others, are very commonly farm raised these days. The rare expensive ones that are still designated by names like L47 are still wild caught, but you can find hardy plecos in most fish stores.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mitchfish9: I was thinking about starting with a 10 or 20gal then graduating to a 50-60gal. but i read that plecos need a lot of space to grow, so leaning more to start with the 50-60gal. It seems like quite a feat to start so big though.

@altiuscitius: This seems like a stupid question, but I would be able to breed them if they're farm raised, right? Well, with optimal conditions, etc.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
@mitchfish9: I was thinking about starting with a 10 or 20gal then graduating to a 50-60gal. but i read that plecos need a lot of space to grow, so leaning more to start with the 50-60gal. It seems like quite a feat to start so big though.
The bigger the tank, the easier it is in the long run to maintain it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bristlenose plecos, (my favourite type, and they stay a reasonable 4-5 inches in size, unlike the 15 inch larger plecos) and many others, are very commonly farm raised these days. The rare expensive ones that are still designated by names like L47 are still wild caught, but you can find hardy plecos in most fish stores.
What's your opinion on pitbull plecos?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Pitbulls are considered a bit harder to breed than BNs (BNs are just about the easiest pleco to breed). I would put them in the same setup as I would otos if I was going to breed them. Which means, stable conditions and clean water. I've had otos spawn in my 55 before.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I agree with LB79 that you should start off right away with the bigger tank, since you are thinking about eventually upgrading anyway. and that bristlenoses are one of the easiest plecos to breed.

You should think about a community tank. Because you won't see many shrimp and pleco only tanks around lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with LB79 that you should start off right away with the bigger tank, since you are thinking about eventually upgrading anyway. and that bristlenoses are one of the easiest plecos to breed.

You should think about a community tank. Because you won't see many shrimp and pleco only tanks around lol
If I have more of a community tank, won't the fish increase the TDS of the water due to the amount of.. feces they produce?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

By the way, would you happen to know if BN will eat the eggs of shrimp? I read that BN would eat bloodworms, but pitbulls are completely herbivore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts