The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for the answer to this question with no success...

Do you guys and gals vacuum your substrate? I have kept both under gravel and canister filtered tanks with fake plants and vacuum the rocks monthly. I now want to try my hand at a planted tank. It seems that vacuuming the substrate would disrupt the roots.

Thanks ahead of time for tips and advice.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Indeed, many of us that have planted tank(s) do not vacuum the substrate as it would disrupt the plants' roots.

Also, keeping an undergravel filter (UGF) is not recommended, as plants do not appreciate the extra flow near their roots.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You bet

A build up of mulm can cause anaerobic conditions in the substrate. So, vacuum were/when possible, remove dead things, prune regularly as part of the weekly water changes. The best thing you can do IME, is clean your filter often and maintain a high water flow to disperse nutrients and to keep the dead things from settling in one area.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I do not vacuum into the substrate. Plant roots will make it so that there will be no anaerobic conditions.

I do vacuum slightly over the substrate and plant leaves to clean any debris on the surface.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.