The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

I have recently moved house and it has come to my attention that a nicely setup aquarium in our hall, just as you come in through the front door, would look fantastic. It has to be something pleasant to look at, medium to high maintenance with quite a simple yet effective aquascape.

The gear

The tank HAS been setup before so i know all the bits and pieces work well and their are no leaks/cracks.

Alright, for starters i have a beautiful 20 Gallon tank, a Fluval filter (Cant quite recall which model as i don't have it on hand right now, could be a Fluval 2?), A hood for the tank which has fairly strong lighting built in (again i'll check later the specifics as it's in a friend's garage), and a heater.

The plan

I have little plans so far apart from i want it to be simple yet beautiful to look at, but also, fauna wise, something a little different to your everyday tetra setup. I thought the best way to put together a good plan was to come here, collect and discuss ideas and then come out with a good, well thought through plan.

The tank is 20 Gallons so we don't have the sky as our limit here, but it's definitley big enough to contain a decent amount of fauna, plants and other pieces of wood or rock.

Speaking of plants, i DO aim to use real plants, but not alot. This really comes back to the simple yet effective idea, where i don't want to overcrowd the tank with the jungle look, just keep it elegant and peaceful.

As i said, i'm completely open to fauna and aquascape ideas as long as they fit to the basic boundaries i discussed above.

So, open to you..

Okay well there is the basic introduction of the tank. Thankyou for taking the time to read thoroughly the details i have described. I will probably try to post a few pictures of the tank and equipment later on, and also post specifics on lighting and heating for anyone interested.

So yeh, throw in any ideas you like and hopefully we can get this thing rolling.

All the best,

LB101.

:fish:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, what do you like? The plants will depend on the light you have so can't really say much there.

I like the look of schools of fish so would opt for a large school of smallish fish, tetras, neons, or cardinals, black neons, bloodfins, white clouds or a bit bigger fish like the columbian tetra or bleeding heart.

The other option is to get a pair or just one or two larger show piece fish like angels, or a pair of rams, kribs. Though in a high traffic area I would opt for the openness of a large school.

With schooling fish keep the center of the tank open and decorate the sides and back for a nice open look. You could do a dark gravel, neons and columbians from my experience look awesome in this setting.

Good luck. Kara

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a 20 gallon tank you will probably find that small fish, such as Kara recommended, will work the best. Another very nice schooling fish is the rasbora family. Unfortunately, you will need to start the tank with a lot more plants than you probably want, and fast growing ones. This is to provide enough plants to quickly consume any ammonia that the tank generates as it cycles, avoiding bad algae outbreaks. After a few months you can replace those plants a few at a time, with plants you really want, and the quantity you like best. Even then, you really need to have a lot of plants as opposed to very few plants. Small leaf plants will look best too, such as Rotala rotundifola varieties and HC.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou so far for your great advice. Rasboras are certainly one area i have never approached and so it may be exciting to try something new.

What I'm going to probably do is get the tank all set up, maybe check for leaks once more incase it got damaged as it has been travelling about places..

Then i'll make my first trip and buy some dark coloured gravel. I want it to look very natural, nothing can look fake or tacky. I'll also probably get hold of some filter sponges and some decor.

Now the big question is.. rocks or wood? Pros and cons of both? I'm not sure i want a mix of both, i'd rather stick to one or the other.

I'm at an advantage as i have loads of ferts and all the other bits like water conditioners left over from my two old setups i had in my old house.

So once i've decided wood or rock, i'll carry out stage one and move on to stage two: choosing/selecting and buying the plants.....

Thanks again for the input so far,

LB101

:fish:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Rocks vs wood is just a personal preference issue. I'm using rocks now, but use wood in my nano. Wood collects a bit more algae, like BBA, but I think it looks better when well done. Rocks are easier to keep clean, and easier to find the right kind (my opinion, only). If you use rocks you need to avoid carbonate type rocks like limestone. If you use wood you need to avoid green wood and rotted or fungus infested wood. Making that choice is one of the pleasures of setting up a tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts