The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just started up a 90 gal tank. Have some java fern, dwarf hair grass, few different types of swords, some anubias nana, banana plant..

I'm looking for a good starting points for light intensity. I have pressurzied CO2.

Currently I have a single 96w CFL dual daylight bulb over most of the tank. This used to be a dual 96w but one of the bulbs burned out and instead of replacing it, I opted to get a ecoxotic e-120. This fits the tank as it's 48 inch where the CFL was only 36". I'm expecting the e-120 in about 1.5 week.

Running along side the e120 I'll have a 12" BML dutch with 70Degree angle. THis is have pretty much over the swords right now.

So what i'm askign is what percent to run the BML and the e-120 when it gets here to get nice growth but not soo much light that I get algae. Just a rough starting point.

With current setup I had the BML on 100% but i'm startign to get green algae on the rear glass. I turned it down to 70%. But i'm hoping for a nice ball park so i'm not growing algae for weeks trying to find the sweetspot.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Start off 5 hrs a day and work n observe from thete

Bump: My bad, misread q about intensity not photoperiod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my ecoxotic e120 today and set it up.. I"m liking the light much better than my old CFL light. Anyway. This is what i setup to start with for my photo period.

THe e-120 will turn on at noon and off at 7:30. I'll do the sunrise/set ramp thing maxing out at 100% blue 100% red and 50% white.

Over my swords I have my BML 12" light. IT's a dutch with 75degree angle pretty much center of the tank. It runs as follows:
7:30am 0-40% fade over 20 mins.
8:30am 40-0 fade over 20 mins. This is purely so I can see the fish in the morning before i go to work. Sunlight is in the living room anyway so shouldn't bother fish much
12 noon 0-100% fade over 120 mins. Peak sun at 2pm.
3:30pm 100% fade to 50% over 120 mins.
6:30pm 50% fade to 0% over 120 mins

Does this seem like a reasonable photo period? Only thing i'm really worried about is that perhaps using 100% might be too much ever though it's for a fairly short time span.

Anyone see potential problems with this?
Again it's over 90 gal freshwater with c02 injection and dry ferts on EI. Kno3/kh2po4/csm+b

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.