The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been over 2 years and I am trying to get back into the planted tank, My main tank is going to be the 55gal right now I have co2 pumping in (co2 system) 3in of fluorite substrate with some cheap look alike fluorite rocks i got from lowe's 3in.
My water and tank
using api kh gh test kit
kh-5
gh 21 <-== chart doesn't show that high only go's to 15 so is 21bad?
ph 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
130watt Compact Fluorescent one 5k 65watt and 10k 65watt.
filters xp3
maxi-jet600 powerhead
10pound co2 system 2bubbles a sec
My thing is I have some dry fertilizers from GregWatson.com labels show Potassium sulfate KNO3 , Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 , Potassium Nitrate-13.5-0-46.2 K2SO4. I also have some Flourish iron, Potassium, excel, Nitrogen, and comprehensive supplement. Would I need any more fertilizers or I am good for now? My thing is if i use the sticky dry fertilizer would i need to get some trace elements? also what is K2SO4 used for and should i dose it in the tank? Sorry for all the question at one time I am just getting excited :).
40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

·
Registered
767 Posts
Get the CSM-B trace mix for micros. What plants do you have? I think it's best to start with as many as you can. K2SO4 is a source of potassium. Yes I would dose that in the tank. Keep in mind that KNO3 is also a source of potassium too. Put your CO2 on a timer and turn it off at night-no sense in wasting it. Do you have a drop checker for CO2 content? Get one and a bottle of 4dkh water to put in it if you don't have one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ill be getting planted listed under this. I have my co2 on the timer, I do have a drop checker but run out of 4dkh. What do you think the best dose for the first few days of planting?
5 Ammania Sp. Bonsai stems
5 Ludwigia Sp. Guinea stems
5 Limnophilia Aromatica stems
4 Ludwigia Glandulosa stems
3 Lamiceae Sp stems stems
4 Cabomba Furcata stems
Ludwigia Repens stems
2 Byxa Japonica
4 Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
4 Bacopa Colorata GREEN
3 Rotala sp. "Colorata"
here are the plants from pecto don't know what they are but they were cheap $15 for all

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hey some of the ones from petco aren't aquatic plants. Best dose of CO2? Don't put any fish in just plants and try to get the drop checker to turn greenish yellow. Of course with a 4dkh solution. If no 4dkh crank it till plants start pearling. Again do this with no fish in the tank.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know I thought them plants looked like house hold ones lol. Well i just ordered another drop checker so it will be here next week or so. I will have to take out the 12 SAE that I scored at petland for $8. Will them plants I have in there pearl and how long should it take to pearl 1hour or 2 right now I am at 2-3bps and I don't see pearling.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You know I thought them plants looked like house hold ones lol. Well i just ordered another drop checker so it will be here next week or so. I will have to take out the 12 SAE that I scored at petland for $8. Will them plants I have in there pearl and how long should it take to pearl 1hour or 2 right now I am at 2-3bps and I don't see pearling.
Well, if you have fish already proceed cautiously. Try 4-5 bps. BTW how are you getting the CO2 into the water? Also be aware that there are species that look VERY similar to SAE but don't do much for algae. SAEs are not very common in pet stores at least in my area.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet :) Today I checked my ph with my new Milwaukee ph pen600 its showing
ph 6.7
kh 5
gh 18
so that should give me around 30ppm on co2 but when I checked with my RED SEA CO2 test kit got to 32drops and still water didn't change. I run out of co2 tester so now I have to order some more. Is there another way to check, O drop checker is on its way from china so 2weeks :/. The flow from the spray bar and power head are low so there is almost No movement on the surface.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sweet :) Today I checked my ph with my new Milwaukee ph pen600 its showing
ph 6.7
kh 5
gh 18
so that should give me around 30ppm on co2 but when I checked with my RED SEA CO2 test kit got to 32drops and still water didn't change. I run out of co2 tester so now I have to order some more. Is there another way to check, O drop checker is on its way from china so 2weeks :/. The flow from the spray bar and power head are low so there is almost No movement on the surface.
I wouldn't rely on that CO2 chart. Take a sample of your tank water and let it sit uncovered for 24 hours then measure it with your pen. You'll want to see a .5 to 1.0 difference in pH from the out-gassed sample to the tank water after CO2 has been running a couple of hours. Again, please watch the fish closely for any signs of distress: hanging at the surface gulping air, rapid breathing lethargy ect. Increase CO2 SLOWLY if it needs to be increased. Are you getting some 4dKH water for the drop checker? You definitely need that to get accurate Co2 indications.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I shut off the lights and co2 around 8pm lastnight and I am stuck at work till around 8pm. So that will give me the 24hours to test the water now if the water is only .5-1.0 difference from last nite 6.7ph then the co2 should be fine? The 4Dkh water is on order with the drop checker so it should be here in 1-2weeks from china. I had another drop checker from my red sea paint ball co2 system but all the liquid dried up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you have any pH test kits with liquid reagent you can use that in your drop checker. Its the same thing.Yes, if you have a pH change in that neighborhood you probably have enough CO2 but again watch the fish closely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.