The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I been out of this site for about 4 years. I started planting long ago but honestly after that amount of time I have forgotten almost everything.

In my cube im planning on having my betta male, a bumblebee fish, a cherry shrimp, a otto, cherry barbs and undecided on any other fish. Trying to see if i want to do a small school or just differnt fish.

I really like the look of swords, also some carpet grass anubas. The tank has a 2x24 cfl light which should be plenty.

But im blown away of substrate, im thinking black flouride but im confused on how to set it up. I see alot on this website people fill the tank barley and leave a plastic bag over the tank for plants to grow and get rooted.

So im lost there. i will be cycling this tank, i have a small tank cycled so that will help boost the cycle time for the new tank.

Any help is appreciated. While i keep searching.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've got the same tank, and with the light provided growing pretty much anything is possible. The flow is gonna be a little too much for a betta I'd think though, even on the lowest setting.
I used Flourite on mine, and ended up capping it with Eco-Complete and like the black substrate better as it goes along with the tank itself.
The method you are talking about is called emmersed growing, or dry-starting. It's most beneficial for establishing a carpet as it gives the plants the ability to root without fish uprooting them during the process.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I been trying to look for DIY on starting substrates like the method that you mentioned and I havent found it. how do you reccommend I should start? I just never dealt with substrate but I do want this tank to be a sucess.

I believe i can get flourite, but I wish i can still do the silica sand look but i think i can live with the black =) though is there a benifit of doing a combination like you did?

thank you sir.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
this flourite stuff, I thought it was softer. Will corydoras like this? it seems that it would hurt them when they dig through it.

Do you think one big bag is enough for my tank?

Also i have a older co2 with a bubble counter that was just a canister, and a line going to the bubble counter with premade tablets that go inside. This should be fine right? I dont have enough money to do the blownout DIY co2 setups that alot of people have.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
this flourite stuff, I thought it was softer. Will corydoras like this? it seems that it would hurt them when they dig through it.

Do you think one big bag is enough for my tank?

Also i have a older co2 with a bubble counter that was just a canister, and a line going to the bubble counter with premade tablets that go inside. This should be fine right? I dont have enough money to do the blownout DIY co2 setups that alot of people have.
1 bag of Flourite is more than enough, and it's not gonna hurt the cories, it's basically just clay.
If that's the Hagen NutriGrow (or whatever it's called) that'll work, bt DIY Co2 doesn't really cost much... that kit retails for almost $50 and the refills are like $15 or something like that, a whole bag of sugar, packet of yeast and whole package of baking soda costs like $10 at most. And the only thing you'll really need to buy often is the sugar.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
For a pressurized setup it'll cost more, but even so I put together my current pressurized system for like 150 or so. I thought you were talking about DIY Co2 which is just using the byproduct of fermenting yeast as a means of injecting Co2 into a tank. That only costs like $10 to start and a couple more to maintain. But its a PITA and pressurized is sooo much easier and IMO better :p

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah ic, I just setup my old Nutrafin co2 system. It doesnt seem to be producting anything, Ill wait will tonight but i dont see a thing going on. It has premixed activator and stabilizer solution that you mix with sugar and water, im wondering if those things get expired? It was wrapped in the factory packet (kinda like ketchup at drivethru)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well it finally got going, but its only 1 bubble a minute hopefully it gets more within 2 days, and now my bottom dwarf baby tears turned yellow, they were green just the other day. Its increasing to 2 bubbles a minute now.

My other plants are decent, not changing in color. Of course there is one plant that completly died and turned yellow the moment i put it in the tank(it was pretty much dead already)Nasaea sp Golden and Crypt Undulata , i left it in there as a source of bacteria to cycle the tank. my blyxa japonica looks fine. Stargrass doesnt look the best but its still doing ok,

I decided going with DIY co2(pressurized is out of the budget), i got the bottle from my hagen unit, going to make a drop checker and a diffuser off of the output line from my nano pump.

tank currently has 2wpg, waiting on my new bulb to come in tomorrow from ebay to replace a defective one.

Any ideas would be nice. I havent put ANY ferts at all in this tank.

1. why is my plants yellow, is that nitrate deficient?
2. What test kit can i buy, on ebay they have alot from 30 to 80 http://cgi.ebay.com/Laborett-Aquari...in_0?hash=item35a247cf9a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 compared to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/PH-MASTER-TEST-...in_0?hash=item1c0c0489c9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
3. where can i buy ferts? In the stores they have some florish and stuff, I wont be adding any crypts. If any suggustions that arent in stores im down to go online for them.

thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts