The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im thinking of starting a shrimp tank it is 6.6g with no lid and a 19 watt curly cue bulb, i was thinking of just putting some random moss or roots in there for the shrimp to hide in, i know i will need a heater and a filter.
Questions
1. what type of filter?
2. what type of heater?
3. what type of food?
4 which shrimp can i house together?
5. do they need anything special?
6. specific water parameters?
7. how often do i clean tank?
8. do i need special lighting?
9. what plants can i have?
10. thank you for reading!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
1. what type of filter?
Canister works best but anything you can put a sponge or something over is fine.
2. what type of heater?
If your house stays around 70 degrees ALWAYS, the no heater needed.
3. what type of food?
Shrimp food! Fluval, mosura, shrimplab, Borneo, ect.
4 which fish can i house together?
NO FISH
Depends on the shrimp, but NO excel dosing.
Depends on the shrimp
Pretty much Like normal
Nope
Just moss works best for the shrimp and so you can see them easier, but any plant is fine as long as it fits with your lighting.

;)

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
It really depends on what shrimp you want to keep.

Water parameters for shrimp vary a lot, so do your research and pic a species you like, then figure out what kind of parameters you will need.

I'd recommend an air powered sponge filter.

There really aren't many actual shrimp safe fish... if your goal is to breed your shrimp I would suggest a shrimp only tank.

Shrimp will eat most foods, but they do make shrimp specific foods that don't deteriorate as quickly.

a weekly water change would suffice.

No special lighting is needed

You can have most any plant with shrimp. They really enjoy moss.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
1. what type of filter?

For a 6.6 gallon tank, use a sponge filter powered by air

2. what type of heater?

none.

3. what type of food?

shrimp food (any shrimp food is fine)

4 which shrimp can i house together?

http://planetinverts.com/Will These Shrimp Interbreed.html

Most shrimp need cool, clean water which is soft and slightly acidic.

Dependant on species, but most will live in a pH of 7, with gh and kh both under 10. If you were looking to breed shrimp, parameters for breeding are more specific for each species

Clean? i don't know, I can't remember the last time I cleaned one of my tanks, haha

Nope

You can have any plants, most shrimp love moss. Try to keep stem plants to a minimum if you want to see your shrimp all the time. The more stems, the more places to hide

10. thank you for reading!

Also, you mentioned keeping fish with shrimp, and I suggest you do not keep any fish with your shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
FYI, orange sunkist can't produce babies in normal water and the babies need a salt water transition that is hard to do, so if you want breeding shrimp, stay away from them. Blue tigers aren't that hard from what people say but cherries or yellows or snowballs (anything from the neocardina family) are the easiest and are like the starter shrimp.

It's sort of like with anything. You don't start off getting a python if you like snakes, you start off small till you know how to take care of small grass snakes and work your way up, learning along the way. Lots of great people here to ask questions from, take your time and soon you'll have a wall full of tanks like most of us who just started with a "few shrimp" in a tank. lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.