The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, hope you can help me. I'm converting my 72 gallon bow front to a planted tank soon. Its currently sporting two standard 32 watt fluorescents, which puts it at .8 WPG, woefully inadequate. I plan on growing low and medium light plants, so I'm looking for around 2 WPG. I do not plan on adding CO2 to this tank.

So what are my options? I haven't been able to find higher watt T8 bulbs, so I need something else. Will power compact fluorescents fit in my hood? What about T5's or T12's? Am I going to have to buy a new hood regardless?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A two bulb T5HO light fixture would give you high light at the substrate level, but it wouldn't be very uniform light, given the 18" front to back depth of the tank. A 3 bulb T5HO light suspended about 8 inches above the top of the tank would give both high light and good uniformity of the intensity throughout the tank. If that fixture had two switches that would be ideal, because you could adjust the intensity to whatever you wanted then. Here is a good deal for one: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1638

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hoppy just gave you the best, simplest, and clearest answer to your question that anyone could possibly advise. He even gave you a link! :icon_eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.