The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting my 1st shrimp tank

1068 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Gamezawy
Hi all

I am starting my 1st shrimp tank with about 27 gallon tank 55*45*45 CM

as long i am reading here in the shrimp section i have found best shrimp i can start with as a beginner is the Red Cherry Shrimp so am i right ?

And i have some questions

How many shrimps i should start with so they can bread ?

Is Red Cherry Shrimp easy to bread ?

Does Amano shrimp breads in tanks ?

What are shrimps natural food ? i have heard of Spinach is that right and what els ?

last question i want to put HC as carpet in my tank and i know it needs co2 and high light and all i have is DIY co2 so can the shrimps thrive with that ? or its better to put the shrimps in low tech tank with low light plants and no co2 ?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
How many shrimps i should start with so they can bread ? Group of ten will get you going. Of course more will be faster, but ten is a good starting point.

Is Red Cherry Shrimp easy to bread ? Yes. The easiest as long as your water parameters are to their liking.

Does Amano shrimp breads in tanks ? No. Well, yeah, but very, very hard because the babies need salt water to survive.

What are shrimps natural food ? i have heard of Spinach is that right and what els ? Blanched spinach, squash, zuchini, sweet potato, other veggies, fish food, specially made shrimp foods, lots of options. In the tank they will also eat the naturally occurring biofilm that form on the surfaces of plants and rocks/wood.

last question i want to put HC as carpet in my tank and i know it needs co2 and high light and all i have is DIY co2 so can the shrimps thrive with that ? or its better to put the shrimps in low tech tank with low light plants and no co2 ? Well, shrimp can do well in a high tech setup however I wouldn't trust DIY CO2 because it fluctuates too much. That would be bad for shrimp. You are better off staying low tech until such a time you can get a better CO2 setup. This is my opinion.
See less See more
You probably could start with a higher grade version of the red cherry shrimp. Most say they are just as hardy as RCS and look better. I wish I would have got Painted fire reds instead of RCS to start with.

I would start with 10-20. RCS are easy to breed. Amanos will breed but their yound need a brackish environment to survive. I feed my shrimp Algae Disc, fluval Shrimp food, blanched zucchini, but there are lost of options on feeding them.

Can't help you on the CO2.
+1 to nubster.

On CO2, shrimp can survive with it, but you'll 100% get more prolific breeding without it
thank you Nubster thank you dougolasjr

now all i can get for now is Sakura Red Shrimp so what you think about it, is it a good start ?

and about Amanos can they live and bread in saltwater fish tanks ? if yes i am thinking in brading them in saltwater then take the young ones after they grow to planted freshwater so can that happen ?

all i need from Amano is to control algae
Many people have tried breeding Amano's by moving the young into various different levels of saltwater tanks with no success.
Normally the water parameters sort of dictate what newbies can or cannot attempt in terms of breed. Try your hand at cherries or whatever you can source in your area and try to match their recommended water parameters.
If you want to have prolific breeding I'd better to have them in a low light, no co2 tank for sure.

You can do co2 with the risks of using co2, but not easy in high light as you will need much more. A pressurized system is more reliable.

Personally, I don't think that neocardinias are more sensitive than most fish in regards to gas, so the same precautions... but their breeding is said to be sensitive, I haven't really been a prolific breeder so I don't know that... Cardinias like CRS are a bit more sensitive to gas, but still can take it.

You know you can't breed amanos. If you want a tank with co2 you may have CRS or similar but not be able to breed them.

About suffocating livestock, I think that has to do more with poor surface agitation/aeration, please read this:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php?t=10282

As for going with RCS, their coloration is boring in comparison with other neocardinias that require the same care.(with the exception of yellows)

This is a $3 supreme red from Nick(speedie408):

They'll thrive as RCS.
See less See more
thank you Nubster thank you dougolasjr

now all i can get for now is Sakura Red Shrimp so what you think about it, is it a good start ?

and about Amanos can they live and bread in saltwater fish tanks ? if yes i am thinking in brading them in saltwater then take the young ones after they grow to planted freshwater so can that happen ?

all i need from Amano is to control algae
Breeding amanos is very hard, and very few people have had success after many many attempts. Since this is your first time with shrimp I wouldn't bother trying to breed amanos. Amano shrimp live for 2+ years anyway, so there's real no need to breed. People who attempt to breed them do it for fun and for knowledge.
There are good deals on PFR's all the time in the FS section. If you are a little bit patient, you can grab them for as low as $2 a piece, sometimes even less. I'd definitely start with them...might as well get the nicer looking shrimp for just a little less.

In fact, there's two people selling them right now. Both for less than $2 each before shipping.
Yeah, don't be afraid of buying from our sellers. You won't get better deals! Jimko has super awesome PFRs and rillis, Speedie has a variety of other neos. And there is a bunch of other people that is trustworthy in TPT.
Yeah, don't be afraid of buying from our sellers. You won't get better deals! Jimko has super awesome PFRs and rillis, Speedie has a variety of other neos. And there is a bunch of other people that is trustworthy in TPT.
I really would like to buy but man i live in Egypt
i really would like to buy but man i live in egypt

حيث في مصر؟
نعم فى مصر الجميلة
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.