The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a tank used (33g) and was psyched about starting a CO2 fed guppy tank. Found two chips in the glass (lesson learned on inspecting tanks better) after I got it home. So now I'm sitting here excited about the build with no gear. I have several tanks and am no beginner but I've never run a CO2 planted tank before. Two quick questions

1) From 20g - 55g, what's a good tank size. The 55 is big but deep and I'd think you want a shallower tank for plants (because of light) but could be wrong. If 55 works then I have one on hand I can use. I have fluval 3.0 on a different tank and would love to use another.

2) What's a good budget (but still quality) regulator for the tank you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is just my opinion, but the 40 breeder is the perfect small tank. Any smaller, go for the 20 long. I wouldn't waste my time with a 55.
CO2Art has an excellent budget regulator kit and I've owned 2 of them with no complaints.
I would maybe look at keeping different fish. Soft water fish would be more conducive with a planted high energy tank.
Final thoughts,
Best thing I ever did was sell all my Fluval lights, I would look elsewhere for a quality light.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Guppies are doing great in my planted diy co2 shallow tank. Actually I am completely loving that tank right now.

Anyway the biggest problem with a 55 is that they don't have much width so they can be difficult to aquascape.

You are right that the deeper the tank the more light you need to get to the bottom, but a 55 is not too deep depending on what you want to grow. If you are trying to grow a lot of high light carpeting plants then a 55 is going to require something stronger then a fluval 3.0. But if you don't mind low to mediumish light then it should be fine.

As far as alternative tanks go. Well it depends on the space you have and how much you want to spend. I always go for aesthetically pleasing options and to me that means rimless tanks. Tanks are pretty hard to come by in many respects due to the pandemic so that would also influence my decision. In the size range you are looking at one of my gotos would be a Waterbox 30 Mini Clear. Other option would be one of the larger Landen tanks on amazon.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
@rvadog , chips can be repaired using a 2 part epoxy if you are still interested in using the tank. I bought some used 33L tanks a few years ago and there were a few chips on the tank corners and it fixed them just fine. I used the Versachem 5 minute cure, dries clear epoxy, can even be sanded if you overfill the chip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts