The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for the last year I've been trying my hand at planted tanks. I've had my ups and downs, and as of lately been losing the battle with many kinds of algae. I've decided to start fresh and get help and do my homework. So to start of here it is.

I have a 10g tank (20"x10"x12"). The plants I would like to use is jungle val, anubias, java fern, frogbit, and any other your if hardy plants. I also plan on not using co2?

My only questions right now is
1) What would be an appropriate light for the tank (specific brand and/or par reading)

2) Recommended fertilizers

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Try to post it in the Low Tech forum. I have a low tech tank dosing excel only. No algae, period. I have dwarf sags for my carpeting plants. I have few stones there and surrounded by blyxa japonica. Few bunches of giant baby tears. I dose with modified EI half the strength and dose only twice per week. And 50% WC per week. I am using a homedepot 48" work light T8, $14.99. It is a 20g tank. And I use dirt for the substrate.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you want to do vals be carefull if you decide to use Excel because they are very sensitive, they can get used to small doses but not a lot. Also on my ten gallon I use two t8s from menards they are made for under cabinets, but keep in mind these have no reflectors so they aren't close to as strong as one with a good reflectors. And I have a mat of salvini floating on the surface to block light so it's not too strong. For my fertilizers in my 10 gallon I have fish poo and the pants are in gravel thats it except for some potassium sulfate here and there. But it is easier to use dirt and cap it because it has more nutrients. Just go outside and get some and follow the article on it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend on the lights. One clamp on Home Depot light fixture/w the clamp removed CAN bring you into high light range if close to the top of the tank. So it needs to be raised up some to cut how much light you get.
Th fixture and bulb can be had for under $20. CFL bulb @ 13W is enough and 6500K.
I use two of the Walmart "Lights of American" "under-the-counter" light strips on one of mine(10g) and an Odyssea T5 2 bulb on the other. Same no decent reflector theme
on these but I believe that I get very good light coverage as one is at the back and front of the tank. Actually it to is overkill just like but not near as much as the T5 fixture on the other one. Also you might try looking in a "mom&pop store as they sometimes buy used equipment and you can get a single bulb "aquarium" light strip
and that is adequate for the plants you listed for cheaper than new.
The clamp on...some people customize them. Paint the outside black or whatever
and rmove the clamp and hang it from the cord.
Jungle vals get 2' tall but the corkscrew type are more the right size for that tank.
I have two 10g and finding "the right size" plant is tricky.
Since most who use dirt suggest it won't leach into the water if the top is covered
by at least 1.5" of...that make it rather deep for the sub between the two layers.
Things were a lot more simple in both mine when I started out and I'm going back to that sub as it's far less trouble though may not be "exotic" for you. Plain fine gravel.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=52570
Ok so in the first one that I switched back I capped it/w Flourite(Seachem) that I had left over but very thin.
That's regular blasting sand #4 and my local M&P shop gets big bags and breaks it down to sell. You can get it direct from a blasting yard(yellow pages) for about $12
per 40lb bag.
I buy dry ferts and use the "low light EI / weekly" level once a week in the T5 tank and half that in the T8 tank. The T5 tank gets daily Excel, the other gets none/no CO2.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Regarding Vals and excel: I dose excel daily in two different tanks, but both contain jungle Val. I have not seen any adverse effects on my plants. I just dump in the excel, right on top of the plants. No melting, no dying back, no negative impacts.

However, my water is rock hard, ph above 8, high GH/KH and the Val's seem to love it. I routinely get plants over two feet tall, and take out 30-50 plants every two weeks.

Would be interesting to see what water parameters may be influencing this notion of excel being an issue for vals

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've heard lots of reports of people being able to acclimate their Vals to Excel.

However- I dosed Excel in my 90gal to take care of some BBA once (just did a single standard "double" dose) and my corkscrew Vals promptly melted and disappeared. Never grew back, either. :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts