The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I think is pretty heavily planted, or at least on it's way to being heavily planted. I have a Top Fin Power Filter 60 (not sure if this is a good filter, I'm considering purchasing a new one in the coming months). I'm doing 25-30% weekly water changes.

I'm currently stocking:
1 opaline gourami
5 black phantom tetra
5 gold skirt tetra
5 bleeding heart tetra
3 assassin snails
and 3 zebra danios that cycled my tank a year ago

Since I started out a year ago I was under the assumption that Angelfish were going to be really difficult to keep, but since then I've done lots of reading and watching of YouTube videos and I think I would like to keep Angelfish.

I was wondering if adding Angelfish is a possibility right now with my current residents. From what I've read the Opaline Gourami is an aggressive thing, so I'm not too sure if he'd be okay with angelfish.

If anyone has housed Gouramis and Angelfish before, I'd love to hear your opinions!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I've had angels and dwarf gouramis together.
Only problematic fish may be the danios, which may get eaten when the angels get big.

Some tetras may nip slow moving angel fins, but you'd need to try and see.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I find angelfish and tetras to be a bad combo. Two things may happen, in my view.
The tetras may be seen as food if they are small as angelfish do eat small fish in the wild. That may not be a problem if the tetra are of a type which knows how to avoid the problem. Neon tetra for instance seem to have no idea and swim to the top. Not a good plan as that is where the angel can see them.
Second is that the angel may find the tetras a worry as they can come up underneath and that makes the angel stressed for it's fins. Sometimes it is not a totally real problem but I don't like the feel that my fish are stressed in that way. Worry can lead to illness, especially in fish.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I completely agree with PlantedRich.

Most angelfish you get are quite small and you've already had your tetras. The size issue may not be a problem here until your angels get bigger OR you get big angels BUUUUT....

Let me tell you a story about what happened to my 150G. In the tank first, was a school of 18 Cardinal Tetras and 8 sterbai cories. I then added 8 discus. This went on for a few months without issue. I then added 3 angels just to hold them in there for a bit because all my other tanks were full. I took down one of my 75G tanks and took a school of my rummynose tetra and put them into the 150G thinking that if the cardinals are fine, they'l be fine. Within 30 seconds, the discus were targeting the rummynose eyeballs and eating them. I think it was the red head as a target. They took out 5 rummynose within 10 minutes. I was going frantic like wtf do I do now, I already put them in there! This tank has a giant 5ft log going across the middle so it's hard to get small fish out. What I did next was feed the tank. I gave them food and the discus stopped attacking the rummynose. Now I'm down to about 20 rummynose. They haven't been attacked since, which is weird. I keep watching but now that the discus have differentiated them from food, they haven't attacked them. The rummynose swim schooled throughout the entire tank and they eat well. It's been 3-4 months since I've put them in without any other incident. Later on, I added more Cardinal Tetras to a total of 45 Cardinal Tetras. None have been attacked. I then added 3 angelfish 3.5" body size and have had no issues. They only stayed in the tank for 2 months before I moved them into another tank. I think it's not a smart idea to add tetras with discus OR angels but it can be done. You just have to be knowing of what can happen, watch for it, and act accordingly. Honestly, there is still a great chance when my discus get to be full grown, they'll eat everyone. I may not keep them in there for that. If you grow you angelfish out to be huge monsters like discus size, then I wouldn't keep them together with these small fish.

This year even, I was at the Big Fish Deal setting up the tank for the Aquarium Beautiful competition. It was a 20G Long Amazon tank and I brought a 2.5" angelfish. He was still small. I then was walking around the event and purchased a school of 55 small Cardinal Tetras (because the BFD is awesome, it was like $40..50 for that many from batfish). I went and put them in that tank. Within a few seconds that TINY angelfish ate one of the tetras whole. I don't know how he fit it in his mouth. I thought the size difference was enough. I instantly grabbed the angelfish out of the tank. Big mistake.

Anyways, whichever way you chose to go, now you have some background knowledge of what I've done. Good luck.

P.S. I've had luck with fully grown out tetras and not fully grown out angels that grow up with the fish. They could end up never attacking them. If you start losing fish, you probably can guess why though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.