The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
You'd need to start with good stock and raise several generations. This implies tracking from f1 and onwards to determine if any goldens emerge from subsequent generations...

Tbh, vie seen plenty of pure lines with lack luster coloration and signs of transparency so the distinction of pure line sans golden gene doesnt necessarily guarantee greatness, hence the first comment to start off with good stock.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
You'd need to start with good stock and raise several generations. This implies tracking from f1 and onwards to determine if any goldens emerge from subsequent generations...

Tbh, vie seen plenty of pure lines with lack luster coloration and signs of transparency so the distinction of pure line sans golden gene doesnt necessarily guarantee greatness, hence the first comment to start off with good stock.
+1 this is accurate. Eventually, you just keep culling out from good stock, and you'll have something that spits out decent babes.

But look at the price of good PRLs.. They're obviously a difficult feat to achieve.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine are not the best but are slowing getting better? not sure how though. never added new stock (been little over a yr) and slowly more white and even have a couple with red leggs. never seen a golden so one of these days might have to think about adding something to them

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Consider adding a few PRLs to your stock from someone like Speedie. If he has affordable PRLs that look good, it can't do anything but help your stock.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont get a ton of in breeding i dont like to keep alot of shrimp with it only being a 5 gal tank. i do let them get big enough i can start to see pattern on them well and can judge the red pretty well for what i like and sell the other few young ones. thanks for the tips guys i will look into it since after a year i have not had any golden's pop up im pretty sure i wont.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Silane's method of determining if your shrimp are pure:

isolate a male and a female shrimp in your line. Breed the male with a golden female; if any of the babies are goldens, the male has golden genes. If not, he is pure. Do the same with the female but with a golden male instead; if her babies do not contain goldens you can be reasonably sure she is pure. Then, you can breed those two shrimp together to start your line.

Sound tough huh? You gotta do something like this for every shrimp in order to start a pure line. Most all our shrimp have been crossed with goldens though, especially higher grades. It takes about 5+ years of culling to make something like what Benibachi calls S grade. It's hard work! But kudos to you if you decide to try it.

·
Super Moderator
16,969 Posts
To be honest, you're not going to be able to keep them in your tap water no matter how hard you try.

The parameter fluctuation from your water supplier is enough to guarantee problems with infection, issues with molting and general instability in your tank (as far as sensitive shrimp are concerned).

If you decide to seriously go the PRL and high-grade shrimp route, upgrade your system to RO/DI. You're never going to see the full potential of your livestock unless you do so.

mine are not the best but are slowing getting better? not sure how though. never added new stock (been little over a yr) and slowly more white and even have a couple with red leggs. never seen a golden so one of these days might have to think about adding something to them

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do have a buffering substrate although most dont like it. as for high grade shrimp not sure i want to do it. it is something i think about from time to time and i have had a fair bit of luck so far with the oebt, red tiger, crs, and cbs. as for ro no way can i do it in military houseing i would have to have a portable unit cause i cant do anything to plumbing and to be quite honest i dont have money for prl any way.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my skinks hang on the wall no cabinet and it bits lol. if i had a place to store one i really would think about getting one. once i get moved next summer i will prob see about one just not practical right now though. i do catch rain water from time to time and that seems to help a bit though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.