The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got a 5.5 gallon tank that used to be salt water and could use some help. I am planning on converting it to freshwater to use as a planted tank. It had about 5 pounds of sand in there previously and a sponge filter, is there anyway I can wash out the salt in the sand, tank, and filter? and if i can, the salt is only between 1-2 inches thick so I will probably need to add some sort of substrate above it, what can I use? I want to have something like a carpet over the whole thing using dwarf hairgrass or some type of moss, which none of the pet stores near me sell, is there a website where I can buy these plants? (other than aquabid). Also any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of sand you have. If it's made from ground shell (calcium carbonate/coral/aragonite) you can't use it in a freshwater tank - it will mess with your water hardness/buffering capacity. If it's straight up silica sand (like pool filter sand or play sand), it should be fine, provided you thoroughly rinse and soak it. I recommend searching the forums, you'll find lots of threads about using pool filter sand as a planted tank substrate. :)

I imagine you could convert the tank and its accessories to freshwater. Just give everything a very thorough wash - soak, then rinse, then soak, then rinse. Wouldn't hurt to use a bit of white vinegar on the tank to help break up hard water deposits.

You can buy those plants on this very forum! Head on over to Swap n' Shop and see what people have available. You can always make a WTB (Want to Buy) thread there, too.

One more thought: if you're worried about lingering salinity issues, you might look into making a brackish planted tank. It can be done, there are a number of plant and fish species that flourish in brackish conditions.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, thank you, I do not know how to delete this thread as I just started a new one in the journal section, but yes it is filter sand, but not enough to use as substrate, so can I use regular topsoil from a bag to put on top of it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.