The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently I got into having planted tanks, but after going away to college have had leave most of my stuff regarding the hobby at home. However, after learning that my school dorms do allow us to have aquariums, or at least the dorm faculty turn a blind eye to it, I was considering getting a smallish tank to put in my room. For this, I was considering getting the Mr. Aqua rimless 11.4 gallon rectangular tank. I believe the dimensions are 18.9 by 11.8 by 11.8 inches. So, for my first question, what do you guys think would be a good filter for this size of tank. Should I get a canister filter and if so which kind? At home I have a tank with an eheim ecco on it, but I would prefer to spend a little less as the eheim was a bit expensive. Also, do you guys have any suggestions as to what kind of lighting I should look into? I don't intend to be adding ferts all to often and would prefer not go into co2. I am probably forgetting to ask something I should, so if you guys see something that you think I ought to be aware of please do tell me.

Thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a rena xp1 on my 10g and i really like it. i have also heard good things about the 510 turtle canister and it is cheap too.

for lighting you have a ton of options, but t8s or t5nos are probably a decent place to start looking.
Thanks for the input. After doing some more reading on this forum, I have decided on a few items to order to get started.

Tank
11.4 gallon Mr. Aqua from marine depot

Filtration
Eheim 2211 ordered from marinedepot

substrate
Flourite Black Sand from dr foster

Ferts
I ordered some excel and seachem root tabs from drfoster

So far this is what I have coming. I have yet to decide upon lighting, but I would like to get something that would not require me to get into co2. Suggestions would be really appreciated.

Also comments on what I have coming so far would be appreciated too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.