The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-scaped one of my 3 planted tanks. My new scape consists of wood, rock, and sand. I plan to only plant epiphytes on the wood and rock. I won't be using any planting soil just sand (ADA Laplatte). Does anyone see a problem with my plan and if so, please feel free to advise or make suggestions. Also, when should I begin fertilizing? Thank you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sand grows plants very nicely with better root systems than most other substrates if you use root tabs.
My blyxa japonica has grown better in sand that any other substrate i have tried. 7-8 inches tall with 5-6 inch roots.

Reactions: Econde

·
Registered
232 Posts
No reason to waste money on an active substrate with epiphytes, your plan is just peachy. Just dose the water column because that’s how those plants feed to begin with.

I would also dose right away, and I would make sure your lighting is very much reduced or low to begin with. Epiphytes are slow growers and plenty of nutrients and high light will breed algae. They still also majorly benefit from CO2, can never go wrong there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.