The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm starting a 50L aquarium(10gl i think) and i'm thinking of building an amazon biotop(or sort of), i love corys so i would like to get a school of 7 small species corys,like pigmy cories, and because of that i have put sand in the aquarium because of their barbels, one problem in building this biotope it's the pH of my water, usually it's between 7,5 and 8, is it possible to have happy corys in this pH?
i need to buy a filter and i didn't want to spend much money so i was thinking about an eheim aquaball 130, do you think it could handle?
thank you for your attention(and sorry about grammar mistakes);)

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I keep and have kept various types of cories including the small pygmaeus cories in 7.6-7.8 ph water without issues. The pygmaeus spawned all the time in this water as do my aeneus, false julii and sterbai cories. Your ph is fine for cories.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are a couple of things you could do to bring the pH down safely. My recommendation would be to filter your water through peat (or just regularly add blackwater extract). This will tint your water a bit, but the cories will love you for it, and it's not like you won't be able to see them or anything.

It's probably not necessary to alter your pH unless you want to breed them. Otherwise, they should be fine in your pH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with a school of 7 small cories would i be able to put another species in my aquarium? what would you suggest,also from south america?

·
Registered
423 Posts
going for the amazon biotope, i think embers would fit in better than dwarf rasboras.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ember tetras are cool fishes but i never saw them around here... another idea of a more common fish in the fish business?

·
Registered
423 Posts
yup, neons would fit that description. pretty common everywhere but very eyecatching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea neons are like one of the most common fish around. i thought they could only live in water with pH below 7.0
how many should i get?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It can be a challenge to get healthy/good stock on Neon tetras, personally I prefer Cardinals. Cardinals do get a bit larger than Neons, however.

If you're stocking 7 or so dwarf cories, I'd say you could stock about the same number of small tetras along with that in a 10gal tank.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have you considered Diamond Head Tetras over neons? I had some in my 55g ages ago and I loved em, I think they look better than neons and they are far more unique. they get around 2 inches at most, so you can probably keep 7 in there with your cories.

I'd link you the site, but I don't have enough posts yet, but Liveaquaria has them in stock.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
For filtration in a cory tank, I would submit that they appreciate moderate current which can be achieved with oversized filter or with a small powerhead. Keeping the bottom clean will also benefit them. They spend a lot of time on or near the bottom and this is where considerable biological activity and bacteria can be found. If nitrAtes ,which indicate perhaps excessive organics in the aquarium become too high,then my own expierience has shown that barbel erosion is more common but in a planted tank, this may be non issue. Glad that you have chosen sand. They will appreciate it .
Your pH should be fine for corys but I might were it me,,, drip acclimate the fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts