The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered 2 plants, dwarf baby tears (HC) and dwarf hair grass. I'd like to use the dwarf hair grass as a background plant and hopefully it'll grow nice and tall to cover the back of my 2.5 gallon tank. The HC will be used as a foreground plant. both plants will be here tomorrow and I'll be growing them immersed for probably 2 weeks so that the HC can develop a nice root system. Eventually however I will have to add water and fill up my nano tank. So my question is about fertilizers. The tank is a 2.5 gallon minibow which will be cycled. It's got a red sea deco art nano filter, a heater, a 15 watt light bulb, and will have DIY CO2. So what should I do for micro and macro ferts? My water is extremely hard to the point that I get calcium deposits on the hood and aquarium decor. Also is my light high enough for these plants? I have flourite for my substrate (biggest pain to wash). Thanks for your help! I've been reading up and tried the calculator to determine how much powdered ferts to add but I'm still a bit lost!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
First off, welcome to TPT!

Second, your lighting should be more than fine, but I would not fill your tank up until you've got the Co2 going, as 15watts over 2.5gls is more than sufficient lighting, and you wont want algae to take a hold.
The dwarf hair grass should be fine as a background plant, considering the height of the 2.5gl.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I definitely will not be filling the tank for at least another week. This weekend I'll make the DIY CO2 but i still want the HC to take root. But I'm still confused about the ferts. Should I test my water then decide what and how much I need? Also is there anything that comes premixed? I'm in a dorm and don't want bottles of stuff laying around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.