The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have been dreaming for a long time about setting up a planted tank. Finally got the chance to setup one.
There was a old jbj nano (7 to 8 gallon) tank at the corner of my garage from my saltwater aquarium days. That was the perfect tank to start the hobby with.
Got a co2 setup online and bought chihiros rgb nano light and and an eheim canister filter from amazon.
My scape and setup kind of look childish. But this the best I could do without any experience. Here are some pictures.

Hardscape, as best as I can do.

Wood Twig Trunk Art Driftwood

Day 1 - Right after finishing the planting:
Plants are monte carlo and dwarf hair grass in the front and side. A plant similar to Alternanthera Reineckii Mini in the background. Some anubias petite on the drift wood.

Plant Wood Trunk Grass Bonsai

Day 3:

Plant Window Leaf Branch Rectangle

Some algae started to show up on the wood in the form of fluffy cotton layer as you can see in this photo:

Flower Plant Wood Branch Twig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to update my tank journal. Today is Day 9 of my tank. Some plants are doing ok. Some not so much.
Lets start with a full tank picture:
Plant World Wood Branch Flower

The driftwood was covered with some sort of fluffy white fungus, which was smothering the white anubias. I used a toothbrush to clean as possible during a water change today.

Here is a close up of my ALTERNANTHERA ROSANERVIG plants:
Plant Leaf Botany Natural landscape Wood

Some plants are showing signs of growth by dropping new roots as you can see here:

Plant Green Branch Terrestrial plant Houseplant

And these monte carlo leaves are not looking good. But they are dropping new roots, you can see here. Is this normal? What can I do to improve the leaves?

Plant Houseplant Twig Terrestrial plant Wood

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

Today for the first time, I am seeing sign of pearling!!! Yehhh...
Plant Flower Petal Terrestrial plant Tints and shades

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Petal

The pH of the tank before co2 starts is at 7.4 to 7.5
The pH of the tank 2 hours after CO2 starts is at 6.5 to 6.7
Currently Light period is 8 hours. Light used - Chihiros CII RGB.
I have started dosing with MACROS and MICROS on alternate days. I got it from NILOCG website.

Would appreciate suggestions. Remember this is my first planted tank. All feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello friends, In case anyone is reading this thread. just wanted to share a quick 3 weeks update. The tank has been doing decent. Things seem to be growing.
Here is a photo update:

Plant Plant community Branch Botany Organism
:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very cool (to me) I actually just have a betta in a 1g that stays pretty and alive. I am getting a 10g for christmas and went to my LFS yesterday and they reinforced my plans. Gonna get some guppies CPDs and anchor catfish probably. Anyway nice job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool (to me) I actually just have a betta in a 1g that stays pretty and alive. I am getting a 10g for christmas and went to my LFS yesterday and they reinforced my plans. Gonna get some guppies CPDs and anchor catfish probably. Anyway nice job.
Thats nice! A 10 gallon is a perfect tank to start planted. Go ahead and share the tank when the setup is done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome! I just started a planted 20 gallon and a planted 2.5 gallon nano. Great idea of taking pictures to compare growth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts