The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of aquariums, decided to try a pond, I was happy with the results, very relaxing to read with a coffee next to the pond in the summer.

Here's pictures, it's about 550G with waterfall. 4 x 4" Shubkins and 1 x 6" KOI. Also started a 3000G pond this summer as well, will finish it next summer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pond plants grew so well I decided to start a planted tank this winter.

I built this to keep a hole open in the ice. 11 watt power head and air pump (on land, under my deck) to aerate the water and keep water movement at the surface to keep a hole open in the ice for CO2 and oxygen exchange. The fish will overwinter under the ice 30" deep.

Much cheaper to build and operate than a pond heater which are 300 - 1200 watts

i's working well so far at -15c

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hope is I can replicate the plant success indoors to my 75G project I started. Still ordering CO2 equipment now. Hoping to learn alot from this website.

I will post my 3000G pond I started.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
NICE! 30" of ice! :eek: OMG I think I'll stay in SoCal! :cool:

I have a space reserved in my backyard for a pond for 15 years now... but I have never convinced myself that I am up for the work involved getting it installed and then maintaining it.

Maybe when I retire it will be a nice project.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally a hole's open, today is about -22F, all water freezes today. Ice is only 1" thick.

The pond isn't much work to maintain once it's in the ground. Lot's of plants and natural foods for the fish to eat grow or live in the water. I think it's easier than an aquarium. I had 1" gold fish that are now 4" in less than 1 year.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
"when I need to break the ice."

Don't forcefully break the ice (you might already know this). Breaking it with force will shock the fish and kill them, I did this my first winter just for fun. I loved breaking the ice. Now I just pour hot water until the hole is present.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Waiting for spring :(, hopefully the fish are fine under the ice. Pump has kept a hole open except on very cold days when I need to break the ice.

I would be careful breaking the ice its a great way to lose fish. I use this and it works pretty good plus it dont burn to much electric. This year I used it with a air stone and dont have ice around it at all. They are not ment to warm your water but keep a circle open for air to escape.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
struggling with algea this spring, need floating plants to start growing and covering the waters surface.

water fall plants came back after winter fine. Added some more marginals to the 60G bog

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only got very small blooms on water hyacinth laster year, late in the September.

This year I got huge bloom from some water hyacinth that sit in a 60 G pond that feeds my water fall and they get 6-8 hours sun and lot's of nitrate from the main pond. i have only seen blooms in this upper pond. conditions must be perfect for blooms from what I can tell.

Some pictures from this morning.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Very nice! I had pond fever years back. I built 1 about 750g and ended up with 3 by the time I was done. It's pretty relaxing sitting in front of one. You did a great job and it really looks great. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.