The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i have a quick question about this plant. I have this plant and it doesn't seem to be growing bushy like it suppose to, and it seem like there are growing roots out of the substrate. It grows more stemy. Should i trim the top? Am i missing something?

As for my setup it is a 56 gal column tank with zoo meds t5ho one with
10000 k and othe is a plant bulb. No ferts other than root tabs. Lights is on for 9 hours a day. And substrate is akadama double red line.
Thank you,
Leo.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks i can put more light over them i have an extra t5ho fixture laying around. But i am worried that i will get a ton of algea without the ferts and co2. As for plants i only have pellia/subwassertang in there. Here a pic.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had this plant for a while and when I was running T8s with no CO2 (only Excel) I had very similar growth to what you are describing. The only way to get it to put out any kind of side shoots was to cut the top off and replant it. The cut side would then sprout one or maybe 2 side shoots.

Not that I've gone with better lighting and CO2, the plant is really taking off. All of them have at least 2 side shoots and the are spreading out across the substrate instead of growing up to the light.

If you want to keep your same light and no CO2, just continue to keep cutting the tops off and replanting. It might take longer to fill in, but you'll get there.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would rather type tropica 49 than staurogyne repens. -- The aquarium hobby is riddled with trade names, is it that big of a deal?
Trade names that are often inaccurate, misleading, confusing or just plain made up. And is typing out that name really so burdensome? We don't have to be totally scientifically accurate at all times, but golly, I think we can at least put up a little bit of effort. Not to hijack the thread...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This plant has a real name, Staurogyne repens. Can't we use it? Why use a Tropica catalog number instead?
Are there different varieties of this species though? If so, I could understand differentiating by calling it something like S. repens var. tropica. Even when I plan out my tanks though, I like trying to write everything down in scientific name, and then common name.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Leo,

I think CO2 and leaving the light the same would serve you well. Excel might toast the Pellia.

As is, the pellia(Cavan will hate this as it's not the name either, it's Monosoleneum) will beat up on the Staurogyne repens for the CO2, and since you have very little and what is there is nabbed by the Monosoleneum, it's not looking good.

Keep the low light.

Add the gas, this will maximize the light use efficiency and remove any CO2 competition BETWEEN plant species. You may need to add some ferts to the water column here and there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
OMG! I just lucked out to stumble across this thread. I was going to post a picture of this plant, and ask what it was? I received a small portion of this plant from a fellow forum member a few months ago. It's growth has been amazing to say the least. It really seems to enjoy high light, plenty of nutrients, and lots of CO2. This is the best substrate carpeting plant that I've ever had. I'll never have to bother with Glossostigma ever again!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Are there different varieties of this species though? If so, I could understand differentiating by calling it something like S. repens var. tropica. Even when I plan out my tanks though, I like trying to write everything down in scientific name, and then common name.
Only the standard plant we've all had is kept. There is another one... but it's not available yet. Anyway, the abbreviation var. is a botanical designation applying to a botanical variety (ex: Anubias barteri var. nana - http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-12556). The term is often used for cultivars, plants from a certain area with no botanical standing*, etc. In that case, the name followed by 'red' or whatever in single quotes is appropriate.

* Though it would really be better to say Proserpinaca palustris from Maryland instead of the name and then 'Maryland', for example.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a little udate on my sturogyne repens. So far i added more light to them to see if they would grow more and did a rescape. And to my surprize they are growing quite well even with the extra light there is barely any algea!!
Here are some pic's of my tank rescaped. Any comment's and suggestion are welcomed!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.