The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I started up my first planted tank by buying one each of pretty much every plant my LFS had. A month later, everything has been growing quite happily, with the exception of the anubias and the plant below, neither of which, so far as I can tell, have changed in the slightest. I understand that anubias is just a very slow grower, but I began to suspect that the other plant was not actually a water plant at all. A little research later, I decided it was most likely Stardust Ivy, so last night I pulled it out and put it in a pot.

This morning, it was very wilted, so I threw it back in the water and it seems to have regained its rigidity, leading me to think that maybe it may be aquatic after all. However, I haven't been able to figure out what it might be.

Anybody know? Is this actually an aquatic plant? If so, is it just a slow grower, or do I need to give it more light?

·
Registered
888 Posts
It appears your plant may have been living for long as submerged form.:confused: So long as one plant which has been living underwater is being submerged, it'll live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is a Caladium. No big loss; I think the store guy threw it in for free anyway.

Does anybody have any experience/advice in weaning false aquatics off of being submersed? I wouldn't mind adding it to my house plant collection, but it apparently did not appreciate going cold turkey.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It also looks like a Syngonium grown submersed for a long time. Put it in a clear vase or tumbler and let the water level fall until it puts out a few normal aerial leaves, then you can transplant it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.