The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the 2x4 skeleton done on my stand. Is it easier to skin the stand then cut the openings for the cabinets or the other way around? I'm getting the 3/4 inch plywood cut to size from Lowes and all I have to cut the openings is a skill saw, though I can borrow by dads router if I need it, but if my memory serves me I would need to build a jig to make the plunge cut right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would definitely do this on a flat surface before mounting, and be real careful if you use a skilsaw, it's really easy to bind cutting openings like that and get a kickback.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you are super familiar w/ skils.
The router may work depending on bit, and may be able to drill a start hole.
A jig saw is the safest, just tough to make super straight lines, maybe a new sharp blade and a guide/straight edge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided not to skin it since I'm painting it and that would be a waste of another 60 dollars worth of wood. I puttied all the seams and holes and plan on painting it today. Its pretty standard but I'll take some pics anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.