The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I'd have my doubts. Ikea is all pressboard. If it were real wood with quality construction sure but Ikea stuff is presscrap.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I understand must of Ikea stuff is pressboard, but not all of it. It's made out of pine, seemed solid to me.
Even pressboard is fine if designed well (and doesn't get wet.. ;)).. Unfortunately w/ this all the weight would be in the middle sections. I'd seriously doubt that one center "hidden leg" would be secure enough to support 137lb/sq ft.. approx.. 3/4 inch top and bottom, one center "block".. I see flexing.. ;)
Blocking the bottom better is a solution.. Then of course you have l/r movement..

Replacing the paper back w/ a plywood sheet would help..

In other words.. I'd be pretty leery..without major structural modifications..Then again.. I've been known to overbuild a thing or 2............

for fun:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110&page=127

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd have my doubts. Ikea is all pressboard. If it were real wood with quality construction sure but Ikea stuff is presscrap.
Not all IKEA stuff is pressboard / particleboard. The stand in the link is actually solid pine. IKEA does sell some solid pine furniture, but you really have to look for it.
With that being said, I don't know how well this particular stand would hold up: I would be more worried about cross bracing underneath the top and the possibility for flimsy leg mounts. The OP could go up to IKEA with some friends and all stand on the stand, but I would assume that would be frowned upon (but then again, whenever I am there, I don't ever see any employees in the showroom). If it were me, I would just build my own stand and skin it to get whatever look I was going after.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
We recommend you secure this furniture to the wall with the enclosed safety strap to prevent it from tipping over.
This about says it.

I looked at the assembly instructions. I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
As the owner of a 75 gallon aquarium, let me just say that, I would not use anything that wasn't specifically built for, or guaranteed to hold a 75 gallon aquarium.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Whether it's particle board or glued strips of pine(because they never use full panels), either way you're not dealing with something that will hold approximtely 600-700 lbs of weight over time.
A glued up board is quite strong. In fact the glue joint will be stronger than the surrounding wood. If construction technique is proper it will most assuredly hold the weight.

They don't use "full strips" because those will in fact warp moreso than a glued up panel. Today's quick growth woods contain way to much sap wood and are prone to warp. Old growth long leaf pine if you can find it is superb in large panels. But you will pay dearly.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A glued up board is quite strong. In fact the glue joint will be stronger than the surrounding wood. If construction technique is proper it will most assuredly hold the weight.

They don't use "full strips" because those will in fact warp moreso than a glued up panel. Today's quick growth woods contain way to much sap wood and are prone to warp. Old growth long leaf pine if you can find it is superb in large panels. But you will pay dearly.
No doubt that glued pine can be strong. But have you seen the thickness in the ikea pine? Plus the fact that they just use wooden dowels with no glue, just locking nuts, in my book won't cut it for holding 600lbs of water. The joints just aren't designed for that kind of weight.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
No doubt that glued pine can be strong. But have you seen the thickness in the ikea pine? Plus the fact that they just use wooden dowels with no glue, just locking nuts, in my book won't cut it for holding 600lbs of water. The joints just aren't designed for that kind of weight.
I am proud to say I've never been inside of one. I hope I never have to. I also hope I never have to own any of their stuff. So no, I've never seen the thickness. My statement of course refers to normal, common US size wood as wood <sic> be used in a decent piece of furniture.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I am proud to say I've never been inside of one. I hope I never have to. I also hope I never have to own any of their stuff. So no, I've never seen the thickness. My statement of course refers to normal, common US size wood as wood <sic> be used in a decent piece of furniture.
Totally agree with you there. I've use glued pine panels to make three tank stands so far, and I'm very happy with the way they turned out. But I've only made them for a 33g, a 32g and a 25g. I used lots of glue & screws, and created a wood frame support inside using 2x2 lumber, and steel angle braces. Probably overkill, but that's me.

Someone else already mentioned this, but if you own a mitre saw & a table saw, you can make your own stand using wood panels from HD or lowes. Then stain or finish to your liking.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There are plenty of DIY videos on the web that will show you how to make a nice stand out of 2/4's and plywood.
Not that I'll need videos, but I have a 55g tank that I'll eventually use and need a stand for, and I'll most likely build my own.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Totally agree with you there. I've use glued pine panels to make three tank stands so far, and I'm very happy with the way they turned out. But I've only made them for a 33g, a 32g and a 25g. I used lots of glue & screws, and created a wood frame support inside using 2x2 lumber, and steel angle braces. Probably overkill, but that's me.

Someone else already mentioned this, but if you own a mitre saw & a table saw, you can make your own stand using wood panels from HD or lowes. Then stain or finish to your liking.
You've got twice as many tools as you need. Well sub one out for a screwgun. And really you can use a circ saw with a good blade instead of the table saw. And if you really want to do it right you really don't need a screw gun either. Just glue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.