The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a lurker on this forum many, many years ago.

I decided to become a member as I'm sure I may have some questions as I go, getting back into this hobby.

A bit of background;
I used to switch between planted fish tanks and breeding Leopard Geckos, it seemed every 6 to 8 years.
I wish I had more pictures of my old set-up's, but a hard drive failure years ago took thousands of my pictures.

My first stand I built back in the late 1990's, houses a 40 gallon breeder tank.

It now houses my Haworthia collection. I use 2 Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light to grow my plants in this tank. I have several other Current lights on other tanks I grow carnivorous plants in as well.

My second stand I built. This one was taken down several years ago when we moved some furniture around. About 3 years ago I sold it.

So now we are almost to the current day.

The wife and I have a spot we were trying to figure out what to do with. I suggested a tank. She was thinking a storage ottoman. We are great at procrastinating and would look occasionally at ottomans. Over a year later, still no ottoman.

I stopped in at the local pet store over the summer and noticed the Fluval Flex 32. I really liked the shape and design of the tank. Took the wife to see it and she liked it as well. So we ended up leaving with the tank.

I looked at the stand that Fluval made for the tank and was not impressed for the money.
So I decided I was going to build my own.

I'm planning on building a floating shelf above the tank. I have 2 cats and can see them trying to jump on top of the lid of the tank. That is why the first 2 stand builds I made have tops.

I'm starting to think about the tank.

I keep things low tech, but 75% sure I will be getting a second light in the lid. I do not know if 1 light will be enough for plants I remember having good luck with all those years ago. Heck I can only remmber a few plants anymore.

Rotala rotundifolia
cypocone
Vallisneria

Looking at the pictures on the Fluval box of the filter, I do not like the way the water flows, or lack of flow, through the media is shown. I see this is something others have made mods of. I will need to do more research on what I want to do with this.

I found people having issues with heat. I'll have to see what I can to, since I will have a shelf above the tank that will help hold heat to the tank.

Any good insight to mods, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weather has been nice and I finally have been able to make some head way on my build.

I have everything for the floating canopy complete.
Canopy is upside down in the first 2 pics.

Now for my concern... attaching the floating canopy to the wall. The canopy is 33" long and 16 1/2" deep.
The canopy will be removable to access the fish tank.
I have 2 cats which I'm sure will be jumping onto the canopy... in fact I will be building additional shelves to create a cat highway for them along the ceiling.... eventually.

I will be able to attach the main mounting wood for the shelf to the wall hitting 2 studs. I'm also planning on using 2 butterfly anchors around the black X marks.

My original thought was to have the 2 support arms for the shelf be removable as well with using a 1" dowel. I'm starting to think, of not removing the arms, and glue it all together along with metal L brackets from the main mounting wood to the support arms.
My concern is the weight of the cats jumping to the shelf and it starting to sag.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
threaded iron pipe. u could a plate to screw onto the wall,and screw the pipe into the plate. It should stay 90 degrees ( you might need to use 3 or maybe even 4).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Google for “metal floating shelf brackets” or similar.
They’re basically a steel rod welded to a mounting plate. You could drill your wooden arms to accept the rods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
I've been doing more research and I believe I will be making a metal bracket to hold the canopy.

why does it have to be removable?

great looking stand by the way.
Thanks.
The canopy will be 2 to 4" above the tank. It needs to be removable to access the tank.

I'm not sure I understand the dowels. I too would worry about sagging using only wood. Not sure how big your cats are but even a 7 lb cat jumping from height to the far edge of the shelf is a lot of sudden weight.

I'd look into building the arms out of metal if possible.
The dowel would make a stronger / better connection between the 2 pieces of wood.
My one cat is a big solid cat. Haven't had him to the vet in a while. I'm sure he's over 15 Lbs. My other one is around 8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts