The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading the review on Amazon you would think that all of the skimmers are junk. Do I just get the $13 one and replace it when it fails or buy the Eheim and hope they honor the warranty. (The owner's manual must be stamped by the retailer, huh??? I've never seen that before.)

I think I have the parts in the basement for passive unit that attaches to the intake of the canister but I not sure I want to use it, both because I don't want to suck plant matter or air into the canister.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Based on the recommendation of another on this forum I got the small SunSun surface skimmer. It works very well in my tank, so well in fact that I think I need to put it on a timer. If I leave it on all the time, the filter pad that's in it will clog up in about a day. I'm looking to find some foam to put in it on top of the fine pad to try and alleviate some of the load on it. I just checked and the one I got is out of stock. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I bought a SunSun (now discontinued) that looks a lot like this one: Amazon.com : Odyssea Clean 100 Surface Skimmer Aquarium Filter 450L Plant Internal : Pet Supplies

It's been going strong for about 1.5 years and cost about the same. I take the sponge filter out (little accumulates in the chamber) and use a fan-type discharge at the water's surface to increase gas exchange. When I turn it on and off, after about 4 hours I can detect a little over 30% change in O2 levels using Salifert's O2 test kit.

I tried the type that become part of the canister filter return, but didn't like them because they draw in a lot of the surface debris that then collects in the canister. I treat the skimmer as strictly a gas exchange enhancer and not a cleaner.

Reactions: NotThePainter

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do I just get the $13 one and replace it when it fails or buy the Eheim and hope they honor the warranty.
Hi @NotThePainter

As I'm not in the US, what is the model number of the Eheim skimmer to which you are referring? In Europe, the one I know is the skim350, which is a very disappointing piece of kit.

Anon

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hi @NotThePainter

As I'm not in the US, what is the model number of the Eheim skimmer to which you are referring? In Europe, the one I know is the skim350, which is a very disappointing piece of kit.

Anon
It's still the skim 350, and yes, its garbage.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my Odyssea skimmer in the other day. It seems like a nice piece of kit. Ugly as sin but either algae or Krylon Fusion Black will cover that up. I need to change the foam in it so it will work without being finicky with the size of the air pocket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the Eheim Skim 350 and don't have a problem with it. I usually have to check it daily without fail to make sure I spring baby shrimp out of vortex prison anyway, so I just clean the sponge, and use the other one that's been drying since yesterday, add a new piece of filter wool on top and it's good to go for another day. If you don't have shrimp in your community tank and hate daily maintenance however, then yes it's garbage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.