The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am currently looking for the right size of stainless steel wire mesh to lay over my Powersand and then cover with Aquasoil. Simular to what "ianiwane" has done to his 120 ADA cube. I have found this site from a company in California that sells such mesh.
Stainless wire mesh data,prices, helpful information

I am trying to figure whats the best wiore diameter to choose in order to allow roots to penetrate but at the same time prevent as much Powersand from rising to the top of the Aquasoil when uprooting plants.
Any suggestions would be awsome!!!!!

-Pete

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i've bought from this place before and the quality is great. as to what size you need, i'm not sure. i just wanted to share my experience with you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe theyll ome across this thread and help me out. If not ill shoot them an IM.

Danepatrick:
Thanks for your feedback and heads up! It nice to know that others from here have done business with them and were satisfied.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
aquasoil standard is 2-3mm so pretty much anything with holes 1mm or less will keep the aquasoil on top, but won't keep the powersand from migrating up. this idea of yours will cause problems when you want to replant/remove plants as many of their roots will become entwined in this mesh layer you propose using. I thought most people use this mesh for riccia and similar plant media projects, not to keep substrate layers apart.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spypet:
Thanks for your response! The Powersand i have is the medium grade, so i have hoping to get mesh with the width small enough to keep the Powersand down but let the roots do thier thing.

I realize that roots will run thier course and grab anything in thier way. Im kinda hoping i can uproot plant gently without too much root damage.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input ianiwane! If im going to cove the length on the tank 36" and say im laying out the Powersand a little less than half the width of the tank ot half which is 5-6" how much of this is needed to order in order to get good cover.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked here at a local harware store and the guy told me they dont even make this stuff anymore. I really dont think he knew much about it.

Where would be another place to look? Welders shop? I checked at Lowes and HomeDepot but the stuff they carried was aluminum or if it was steel it was way to big in width of the holes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts