The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 316 stainless mesh really necessary for shrimp tanks or is 304 ok? Also, what size are you guys using for pre-filter? 20/30/40 mesh? Seeing lots of conflicting info and looking for a general consensus. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the difference. I'm asking if people use 304 successfully or if it causes problems. Worth noting I'll be keeping neos in the tank. In my experience, it takes 304 a very long time to corrode in average water so I assume it would be fine but wondering if anyone has had any first hand issues with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking to use it as a pre-filter. I know I could use plastic/fiberglass screen or foam or any number of other things but having more rigid screen would make it easier to work with. Since it sounds like stainless isn't the best in the long run, I'll just go with something else.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looking to use it as a pre-filter. I know I could use plastic/fiberglass screen or foam or any number of other things but having more rigid screen would make it easier to work with. Since it sounds like stainless isn't the best in the long run, I'll just go with something else.

I have used fine nylon mesh in the past with success. I attached it to acrylic frames with CA to keep it tight. I found that maintenance was more of a pain than with sponges though. Now I exclusively use intake sponges in all of my tanks. I don't use them intentionally for biological filtration, but they do add some. I take them out and rinse in tap water to clean them up. No problems yet.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
+1 on the intake sponge. Can get kind of messy but easy enough and inexpensive enough.

·
Super Moderator
15,020 Posts
Since it's a shrimp tank, I'd lean more toward an intake sponge. Shrimp will feed there and it's a good spot for seeing shrimplets that are freshly hatched.

Depending upon the intake you're covering, it's also possible to have zero mess with sponges. I pop my Aquaclear intake pipes out and bring the sponge with them. Not quite as easy as it is with canister filter intakes but it's still quick. Allows me to remove the sponge for a quick squeeze-out without getting gunk everywhere in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts