The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an r/o filter at home, and recently used some of the water from it to set up my planted tank. I had a trash can full of approximately 30 gallons of it that had been sitting for a few weeks with an airstone in it.

After filling my tank and adding my plants, I noticed a foul stagnant smell coming from the water ... The tank has been set up now for a couple days with the plants, and the water is slightly cloudy (a white cloudiness), and the smell is still there.

My question is... if this water was stagnant, is this harmful to the plants I have in there, or to any fish that I may add to the tank, and is there something I can do to clean it up without having to empty the entire thing and refill? Or do you think my filter will eventually clear the water up and the smell will go away?

Thanks for any help.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's weird.

I'd try a partial water change and add some Purigen to the filter and see if the smell will go away.

I'd definitely try and take care of the smell before adding fish.

(You sure you're not smelling Prime's sulphur smell?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, it's definitely stagnant water. Smelled the trash can (which has only ever been used for r/o water) after I noticed it in the fish tank and it's the same smell. I'm guessing the air stone wasn't enough to keep it aerated for the length of time it was in there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.