The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's my problem. We're having a house built. For this new house, I wanted to have 1 pond big enough in the backyard to keep koi (if possible because Boise is putting houses on postage stamps. Basically, Boise is getting greedy and stuffing big houses on small lots and stuffing small houses on even smaller lots, so you have no yard!), and/or put a small pond in the front next to the house entry with a waterfall with accent lighting and all that other stuff.

My point is that my mom would rather a pondless waterfall over a pond with waterfalls stocked with fish. She said that we would have mosquitos laying eggs in the water. I know they do do this, but my question is...

What is the easiest way to prevent stagnant water in a koi pond?

This goes mostly to the one in the backyard. There will be two waterfalls on this lake. Im thinking of having the actual pond being about 10'x15' feet at a depth at the deepest of 3 feet; 4 feet at the most. The two waterfalls will be separated by about 6-7 feet, with the falls having a diameter of a 3/4' of a foot at the mouth and a foot at most in the upper falls.

· Registered
199 Posts
Good ciculation and filtration.

Mosquitos like to breed on static stagnant water because they can lay their eggs easily and their larvae eats the growing algae and micro-organisms. When you add circulation and cleaner water, they will have a hard time laying eggs and breeding.

Adding smaller fish that eat wrigglers is another way of stopping them. There are also chemicals you can add.

· Registered
2,519 Posts
Mosquito fish or Rosy Red/Fathead minnows.
Mosquito fish are what I put in my pond to help with the mosquitos, but with that being said they just help with the hatching mosquitos they will not eliminate them as their will be many that still hatch out. And as far as stagnant water goes mosquitos will lay eggs in any patch of water stagnant or not. Even in the biggest ponds with lots of circulation there will still be spots that will be fairly still from water movement. For the pondless waterfalls goes they can be just as nice looking as some of the ponds I have seen.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good ciculation and filtration.

Mosquitos like to breed on static stagnant water because they can lay their eggs easily and their larvae eats the growing algae and micro-organisms. When you add circulation and cleaner water, they will have a hard time laying eggs and breeding.

Adding smaller fish that eat wrigglers is another way of stopping them. There are also chemicals you can add.
Well two waterfalls should be enough circulation in my opinion. And you said to prevent wrigglers, that the pond could have small fish to eat them, What kind of small fish did you have in mind?

· Registered
22 Posts
you have more than enough water flow to prevent a really high amount of mosquitoes, and any that do hatch would be around regardless if they came from the your pond or not (mosquitoes just happen). but its always nice to have small fish for show that will also eat the larvae of pest bugs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.