The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well where to begin - Staghorn is starting to take over my tank again. Let me tell you about the equipment list.

Tank: 55gal.
Filter: Emperor 400
Lights: 2 - 32watt T-8's (6500K, 18000K) on for 9 hours a day
Substrate: Pea size gravel
H20 change: 25% weekly, 50% monthly
Ferts.: Flourish (non-excel) 5mL once a week
CO2: DIY
PH: 7.6
KH:? - I do not have a current reading
Nitrate:?
Fish: 7 Blackskirt Tetras, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Corys, 3 Minnows, 2 SAE's
Plants: Amazon swords, Anacharis, Rotalla, Dwarf Lilly, Aponogetons, Ludwigia

In the beginning I was battling some hair algae but not minding it too much. For reasons that I do not know the hair algae stop and I started to get staghorn. I had thought that it might be my inaccurate DIY CO2 system so I stop using it for awhile. It seems that no CO2 did not make a difference, so I had borrowed a pressurized system from a friend to see what happen. Well no luck I still continued to get the staghorn, so I heavily spot treated it with H2O2. The H2O2 did kill off the staghorn along with my Anacharis but 2 months after the treatment the staghorn is coming back. Please can someone give me any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fend off this algae? Please tell me what you think I am open to whatever. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the help. On the way of purchasing a Eheim 2026/2028 filter and will be dosing some H2O2. I will try changing out 40-50% water weekly to see if that will eliminate it. The weird thing is I get long strands of staghorn (most of it) right on the bottom lip of the output on my emperor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts