The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well where to begin - Staghorn is starting to take over my tank again. Let me tell you about the equipment list.

Tank: 55gal.
Filter: Emperor 400
Lights: 2 - 32watt T-8's (6500K, 18000K) on for 9 hours a day
Substrate: Pea size gravel
H20 change: 25% weekly, 50% monthly
Ferts.: Flourish (non-excel) 5mL once a week
CO2: DIY
PH: 7.6
KH:? - I do not have a current reading
Nitrate:?
Fish: 7 Blackskirt Tetras, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Corys, 3 Minnows, 2 SAE's
Plants: Amazon swords, Anacharis, Rotalla, Dwarf Lilly, Aponogetons, Ludwigia

In the beginning I was battling some hair algae but not minding it too much. For reasons that I do not know the hair algae stop and I started to get staghorn. I had thought that it might be my inaccurate DIY CO2 system so I stop using it for awhile. It seems that no CO2 did not make a difference, so I had borrowed a pressurized system from a friend to see what happen. Well no luck I still continued to get the staghorn, so I heavily spot treated it with H2O2. The H2O2 did kill off the staghorn along with my Anacharis but 2 months after the treatment the staghorn is coming back. Please can someone give me any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fend off this algae? Please tell me what you think I am open to whatever. Thanks

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
The Emperor is off gassing any co2 your getiing into the water from your diy setup. If you really want to get rid of it buy a pressurized system. It wont be necessary to get a canister filter but that would be your next move. Also your Emperor probly is not creating optimal water ciirculation either. I have a XP3 on a 55g and feel it is barely adequite but it is a low light tank. If it were like yours it would deffinantly be inadequite.

Either take out one bulb over the tank or get ready to spend some cash on a proper set up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, keep the light. Either start dosing, mega-dosing Excel OR....a cheaper route...

Get yourself some peroxide. I too have had a time with Staghorn...and in a 10g tank I triple dosed the Excel...cured the problem. I tried the same in my 40 but didn't dose as much because I had plants in there that Excel effects.

Get some peroxide...get yourself a 5ml syringe and directly spot treat the Staghorn. You'll see start bubbling some really fine micro-bubbles, then just walk off and forget about it. The next day, it'll be gone. I just did this yesterday myself...it works.

I'd say to do a 50% water change every week if you're dosing high amounts of ferts or have a lot of fish...feed a lot...etc. I've got 78w of T5-HO lighting on my 40 gallon breeder...with DIY Co2...which does not touch Staghorn algae. I'm doing 3 2-liter bottles that pound off the bubbles...one to a powerhead and the other two feed a difusor.

Invest in peroxide.

I just re-read your post. Treat it all with peroxide again. Do the water changes like I said, 50% a week. Seems like you don't have your ferts right if Flourish is all you're dosing...and I don't think you have too much light. I personally think that Staghorn is fed by nitrAtes...so water changes are a must...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have had alot of problems with stag horn lately.
I increased CO2 and increased the water flow. This helped get rid of most all of it.

I think in my Case the water flow was an issue (55 gal with an XP2).
I added a power head on each side of the tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, I'm lazy and I don't do water changes like I should. I used Excel to get rid of it in my smaller tank which is where I had been having the best plant growth and had clippings that I'd offered for sale. These were clean, free and clear of staghorn.

My bigger tank however is a different story. And it's not over-run with staghorn...I just have always had a small patch right up at the front of my tank that has grown this crap. It's directly in the path of the outflow of my filter, which is a C360 with an additional powerhead on the outlet...flow is rather strong and well. I've found a lot of it sucked up to my filter's intake but it's never removed all of it from my tank. Peroxide knocked it out the box...and so far I've not noticed any ill effects to the other plants in my tank from it. Maybe use the peroxide and then the next day or so do a water change? I'm not sure of it either...I just know it killed it down, thank God.

Until I get my big tank free and clear of it, the clippings won't be offered from that tank. I actually think that these PITA algae's exist in everyone's tank...what actually causes them to outbreak, I haven't figured out. But I have figured out how to control them...and probably water changes would cure the problem completely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the help. On the way of purchasing a Eheim 2026/2028 filter and will be dosing some H2O2. I will try changing out 40-50% water weekly to see if that will eliminate it. The weird thing is I get long strands of staghorn (most of it) right on the bottom lip of the output on my emperor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.