The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, right now I am really confused about something that has happened in my 350-gallon tank. For many months I have struggled with battling staghorn algae that was growing like crazy on all my plants suffocating them. I tried hydrogen peroxide, I tried increasing my water changes, messing with how much I fertilize, and I have tried adding massive amounts of plants at once to fight it. These things helped somewhat but the staghorn always came back. Lately, I have been neglecting my tank. I have not done water changes, changed the pre-filters, dosed any fertilizer, or done anything to the tank in months. I noticed to my surprise, however, recently that all the plants are flourishing and the staghorn has died out on its own. There are still small patches of very weak staghorn in some places, but it looks like it is all basically dead. My plants are all pretty easy plants; amazon swords, crypts, anubias, java ferns, moss, wisteria, jungle Val. Does anyone have any theories as to what happened? I am so confused and I am not sure how to proceed since I wanted to start getting involved with my tank again, doing water changes, dosing, cleaning the filters, trimming, siphoning, etc. But now I am scared to touch it since it seems to have created some weird balance. I also have some nerites in there that have never touched the staghorn, but I am wondering If they could have assisted in eating some of the dying staghorn somehow? Or perhaps the staghorn just dissolved?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would immediately do water tests and record them to give you a base line of the conditions in the tank when the plants are thriving and the algae is dyeing... for future reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts