The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a small amount of bga forming on my substrate and maybe staghorn algae? Sorry for the poor quality pics....Last week I did a waterchange and a big trim . Would this have caused this? I have been dosing using the EI method, but I might have been overdoing it...Suggestions? This sucks...Oh btw, I dont have the coralife lights yet...will be here tuesday..

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm still learning about algae but it could be staghorn or fuzz algae. What color is it? I thought I had staghorn algae but when I noticed that it was green and not grey and didn't branch out like staghorn I figured that it was fuzz algae.

Here's a link (thanks to danepatrick and hoppy) Aquarium Algae

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a grey color...heres another not so great pic

·
Registered
612 Posts
As far as I know staghorn is caused by high ammonia. Did you test your water before adding it to the tank? Did you have a recent death in the tank? What are the inhabitants? What are your water parameters?
Sorry about all the questions, Just trying to get a better idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use test kits anymore except for ph, which was 6.0 this morning before the light came on. I will test at the end of the light cycle and see what it is then. Deaths in the tank? Yes, I am missing a black neon and serpae tetra...I usually dose-
sun,tue,thur-1/2 tsp Kno3, 1/4 tsp Po4, 1/8 K2so4.
mon, wed, fri-1/8 tsp Csm+B

Co2-4 bps
kh-0

See the grey junk on the bottom of the plant?

·
Registered
612 Posts
IMO it's the deaths that's causing the staghorn outbreak. Try doing a large water change and manually remove the algae that you can. (you can use an old toothbrush to remove some of it) How long have you been using ferts? I don't think they are the culprits though. Any leaves that are too covered to get clean you might think about removing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long have you been using ferts?
About 3 weeks now...
Tomorrow is water change day, will change about 75-80%
I would like to see what Tom would recommend....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any other opinions/recommendations? Should I keep dosing the same amount or slack off some? When I get my new lights tuesday, should I run them all at once or start off with only 2 on?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump...need some help...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Okay I see what you are talking about here staghorn. How is CO2 being dissolved into your water column and I have question on your dosing for some reason they don't look right. Regards, jC.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1/2 tsp Kno3, 1/8tsp po4, 1/8 k2so4 3x week
1/8 tsp CSM+B 3x a week...do I need to dose the K or do I have enough By dosing the Kno3?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts