The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I woke up this morning to Staghorn Algae in my tank. I'm not really sure what to do. I'm very new to having a planted tank. I've read that the causes are ammonia and low C02(I'm currently awaiting on my parts to come in this week for my system). If anyone can point me in the right direction on what to do that would be amazing.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
For now,,I would reduce lighting period by an hour or two which will reduce demand for CO2 and nutrient's.
Would purchase dry fertilizer mixes macro nutrient's and micro nutrient's which plant's will demand in greater quantity once you have your CO2 system in place.
Would take old toothbrush and try a twirl around the staghorn to remove as much as possible.
Would be performing 50% water changes each week.
Clean filter material once a month.

Will need to ask someone else how to set up the CO2 system when it arrives for I don't use CO2 and therefore cannot be of much help in that regard.
I'm still studying about the gas myself, and any info I have,, has been from reading about it's application and problem's as other's have expierienced.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How new are you? Is the tank less than 6 weeks old? If so, it could be cycling still.

Check ammonia levels. If they are high, that could be why.
Check your filter to see how dirty it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts