The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some inspiration. Most of the "shy" fish are currently bunch up on the left side under and around the driftwood. I plan to build up the right side of my tank with more (stacked) rocks to create caves.

I have quite a few more and taller plants but the picture below should give you a general idea of the current layout.

Who wants to show off their natural stone and driftwood combo tanks?

· Registered
11,717 Posts
I also have no pics, but go to your local rock yard and look at the flat stonesm usually sold as flagstone. They will stack up better, but also look at the irregular shapes, too. Look at the edges that will most likely be the visible part when the rocks are stacked up in the tank. It is amazing how different some stone can be when you look at different parts.
Take home samples to test in the water. A few chips that have broken off will work just fine. Bring baggies and a sharpie pen so you can label the samples.
When you get them home clean them, then put them in a glass of water. If you prep the aquarium water a certain way (such as using RO or any pH altering materials), then do this to the water.
Test the water when you start for GH, KH, pH, and TDS if you have a meter.
Then test a few hours later (highly reactive rocks can react this fast) then the next day, and every few days for a week or two.

I think I would also add some wood to that side, perhaps an arching piece that reaches up and over to provide more coverage over a larger area of the tank. Many fish do not swim out in the open because of predators like birds or cats that can catch exposed fish.

· Registered
12,433 Posts
You don't list your area so that leaves open the question of what rocks are "native" to you. If you live in limestone territory, the rocks you find will math the water in many cases. That makes limestone a good choice as it is cheap and available. Since the water and rocks live together, they don't change when they come inside!
Any rock that fits your situation will give cover but I like limestone for the many shapes I get for free pickup. I often have tanks where I leave the fry to nature and I find they really like flat rocks for the tiny little cracks left when stacked. Flat also stacks much better.
With windows, I have trouble with reflections on this tank, so here's a night shot. Most of the rocks are under the plants.

Given some rocks, you can survive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.