The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO it has been a long time since I ran a fresh water tank.

When I was running Cichlids, I would drain the water, then fill up right from the tap, add Dechlorinator and call it a day.

Then I went to Salt...With corals we had to match the temp, salinity, pH perfectly prior to changing the water. (one of the main reasons I am switching)

Now the question....
Is it ok to revert back to my Cichlid days and just fill up from the tap (getting the temp close?) and adding the Dechlorinator during the refill? Or should I stage my water like in the reef days, in a 55 gallon drum, treat, let it sit and then fill (I really want to get away from this, dragging a hose through the house from the garage is the SuXoR).

(A word on my water... REAL Hard here in FL, so I run it through a water softener then through Carbon before It would come from my tap, the DeChlorinator is just to be extra safe, but there should not be any in the water at that point).

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think most of us just use tap water for refills, adding Prime or equivalent to the tank as we do so. And, many of us don't bother matching the temperature, as long as the refill is relatively slow. I suspect that a water softener can do more harm than good, especially if used with NaCl as the salt, instead of KCl. These leave the water with a surplus of sodium, not good, or potassium, a lot better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't even use dechlorinator, since I'm only replacing 20% of the water, the total amount of chlorine in each tank is pretty low. Since chlorine is a dissolved gas, and I'm using aeration, it doesn't stay dissolved very long.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the water with my refractometer, it read 1.001 where my reef tank was 1.026, not much salt in the tank. I hope that is low enough

·
Registered
394 Posts
@Wardaddy

+1 for Hoppys comments.

If you don't have one already, grab a python next time your at your LFS, they make water changes so much easier.

Totally off topic, but I've been really impressed by the spam on this forum, spammers and their tools have been getting frighteningly good.

·
Registered
544 Posts
+2 on Hoppy´s comments

+100 on topfrog007 on the python (or similar) so spill clean and fill system. Worth whatever it costs.

I just refill the tank directly from the tap, and put some dechlorinator during filling. PH usually increases a bit from 6.8 to 7.0 after water change but that´s it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts